x11 and open office

Reaction score
I've tried installing open office for intel macs and it says I need x11 so I downloaded that from the apple website and it says i have a higher version of the software and I dont need to install the x11, but open office still doesnt work :(

I've read through all the open office support but I was hoping for a personal response.

OP
X
Reaction score
yeah, I found the correct x11 inatall packacghe on my disk, under system>packages>x11user.pkg (for future reference)

how do I get the open office equilivent of excel then? when I've downloaded open office reviously its installed loads of programs :S

L

Logan

It's called
Calc — a spreadsheet similar to Microsoft Excel with a roughly equivalent range of features. Calc provides a number of features not present in Excel, including a system which automatically defines series for graphing, based on the layout of the user's data. Calc is also capable of writing spreadsheets directly as a PDF file.

A list and their equivs found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

I can't wait for Novell's OpenOffice 2.0 (In addition to StarOffice Basic macros, the upcoming Novell edition of OpenOffice 2.0 supports running Microsoft VBA macros,[7] a feature expected to be incorporated into the mainstream version soon), but also OpenOffice always sucks at performance of loading up. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
xhan said:
how do I get the open office equilivent of excel then? when I've downloaded open office reviously its installed loads of programs :S

When you start the OS X version of OpenOffice it loads Writer by default, but you can access the spreadsheet by either opening a document directly, or by creating a new one with File -> New -> Spreadsheet.

Unlike MS Office, OpenOffice is just one program with lots of modules. The reason it has appeared as many before is because on some systems it installs lots of shortcuts to the same binary with different command switches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
neooffice doesnt require x11 if i recall correctly
and i like neoffice a lot
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
coach_z, you're right, no X11 is required - it's a native conversion of OpenOffice. I generally find it's very sluggish compared to 'real' OpenOffice, though (2GHz macbook, 512MB RAM). Maybe it's because they haven't stripped debugging out of the beta release?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.