doctorforward

here it is, then...
have a pc working through a cable
and an imac working through airport
on both, the internet works fine
but...
have a macbook pro also
and it picks up a signal through cable and airport
but can't actually connect to the internet (safari or firefox)
took it to the mac shop and, of course, the internet worked just fine
but here...
nada
sure i'm doing something dumb
but...
i don't know what
help?

jon

Reaction score
It sounds like you can't get an IP address from your network. Check this by going to Network in System Preferences and looking under the TCP/IP tab of whichever method you are connected by. If there is no address or it is self-assigned, then it may be that your ISP limits the amount of IPs you can have.

Try releasing your PC's IP address (Open the Command window and type ipconfig/release) and then try again with the Mac Pro to see if it can pick up that free address.

It's worth checking with your ISP how many addresses you can have (it's usually about 8-10) and whether any are still assigned to machines or devices you no longer use.

Network Diagnostics within Safari should smooth out your network settings, but I guess you have already tried that.

If you do have an IP address from your network (it should have the same prefix as your other machines otherwise it could be a hangover from the store), then open the application 'Network Utility' and see if you can ping an address you are familiar with, e.g. Google.com. Other than that, it might be time to be more insistent with Apple.

OP
D

doctorforward

thanks for responding
still nothing though
pc wouldn't allow me to release ip
ping didn't work
looks like it's back to apple
aaargh
thanks again for trying
jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Instead of releasing the pc, just turn one of the systems off and try to get on. I would still try to call the isp and see if they have an ip limit.

OP
D

doctorforward

just taken it out to a café with wi-fi
worked, but very, very, very slow
rubbish
might take it back
jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
doctorforward said:
just taken it out to a café with wi-fi
worked, but very, very, very slow
rubbish
might take it back
jon
No reason to take it back.
What I would suggest doing is when you are home, Power Cycle your setup at home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.