Am I missing drivers for the X1900XT?

M

macgeek2005

My first Mac Pro died a few days after I got it, and I just got my replacement today. My X1900XT upgrade kit had arrived in the meantime, and so this is what I did.

First I booted up the machine with everything as it was. 160GB drive, 7300GT video card, etc. Immedietaly upon coming to the desktop, I shut down, and opened up the computer. I put in the X1900XT in place of the 7300GT, and I put my 320GB Seagate drive into Bay 1. This drive already had a system on it and all my stuff, because it had been installed on it in my other computer. I moved the 160GB drive to bay 2.

I booted up. No problems. It booted up on the 320GB drive and I was back where I was before my first computer died.

I installed the EFI Firmware update thing with no problems, and it wouldn't let me install the SMC update because it says I don't need it. Sure enough, in system profiler, it says Firmware 1.7f8.

And so I opened up Quake 4. I maxed out all the settings (same as I did on the 7300GT) and it played WORSE!!!

Can someone Please tell me what I need to do? I'm also seeing a vertical sort of tearing line in Quake 4 and even during screensaver!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
You may need to reinstall OSX???

OP
M

macgeek2005

The Restore disc actually wanted me to "Upgrade" my system. I guess the system on the restore disc and the system on my computer were different builds of 10.4.7. I did the install, and tried Quake 4 again. Same thing.

I get about 3fps when I first start off on the ground there, and then once i'm inside it ubruptly goes up to 60, but then if I turn a corner or something, it'll lag terribly, and some areas that I enter just don't move at all, it jerks up and stuff. I'm reinstalling Quake 4, any other ideas?

OP
M

macgeek2005

Alright, now the framerates are as they should be, but i'm still getting horizontal tearing...... Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
That's really odd.

Is that X1900XT a real Mac Edition video card? Who did you buy it from?

OP
M

macgeek2005

SuB8HaVeN said:
That's really odd.

Is that X1900XT a real Mac Edition video card? Who did you buy it from?

I think everythings fine. It was the Mac Pro Upgrade Kit from apple.com, and the horizontal tearing issue is supposedly common in games with the Doom 3 engine. However, vertical sync should have eliminated it, but it didn't. It's not that bad, in fact it's barely noticable most of the time.....

Any other thoughts?

OP
P

Puter Padowan

macgeek2005 said:
I think everythings fine. It was the Mac Pro Upgrade Kit from apple.com, and the horizontal tearing issue is supposedly common in games with the Doom 3 engine. However, vertical sync should have eliminated it, but it didn't. It's not that bad, in fact it's barely noticable most of the time.....

Any other thoughts?

Vid card over heating also causes excessive screen tearing as you had been describing. Hopefully it's not that but I have had plenty of experiences where the vid card needed to be replaced because of that. That's the only other thing that comes to mind as it seems you have the correct drivers. Hopefully you'll eventually figure it out. Good luck.

OP
M

macgeek2005

Puter Padowan said:
Vid card over heating also causes excessive screen tearing as you had been describing. Hopefully it's not that but I have had plenty of experiences where the vid card needed to be replaced because of that. That's the only other thing that comes to mind as it seems you have the correct drivers. Hopefully you'll eventually figure it out. Good luck.

How could the video card be overheating? It's designed specifically for this machine, and it has a vent in the back. The vertical tearing is getting a little bit worse though....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
It could just be a bad card. I've had quite a few bad ATi cards in my time...

OP
M

macgeek2005

SuB8HaVeN said:
It could just be a bad card. I've had quite a few bad ATi cards in my time...

Theres nothing else at all that's showing that it could be bad. Nothing.

OP
M

macgeek2005

The guy at aspyr told me that since the X1900XT wasn't on mac when they made Quake 4, that I can expect some glitches like that. Call of Duty 2 runs perfectly, and I think i'd be seeing something wrong there if there was a problem with the card. Don't you think?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.