Should I get 12" or 15" PB?

G

gitboxnat

Hey guys,

In a month or so I will be purchasing a notebook from Apple for my studies at college. Right now, I got my eye on the Powerbook series, and still deciding whether I should get the 12" or 15". What I need is a notebook that is light, and portable since I will be commuting to college and the 12" is perfect. However, I read some posts at the Apple.com Forums, and it seems that alot of PB 12" users have complaints about 'heat', 'dead pixels' issues. I wonder if the 15" is just as bad, or is better quality. Yep, so I'm sort of stuck whether to get the 12" or 15".

Any suggustions or feedback will be good.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

OP
N

NMRJock

gitboxnat said:
Hey guys,

In a month or so I will be purchasing a notebook from Apple for my studies at college. Right now, I got my eye on the Powerbook series, and still deciding whether I should get the 12" or 15". What I need is a notebook that is light, and portable since I will be commuting to college and the 12" is perfect. However, I read some posts at the Apple.com Forums, and it seems that alot of PB 12" users have complaints about 'heat', 'dead pixels' issues. I wonder if the 15" is just as bad, or is better quality. Yep, so I'm sort of stuck whether to get the 12" or 15".

Any suggustions or feedback will be good.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I've got a 12" PB. I have no complaints about heat. I have one dead pixel. I really like the size of my laptop. I'm sitting in my living room watching a bad movie with my PB on my lap as we speak.

~Paul

OP
R

Ripped85

I'm purchasing a PB in a lil while as well..i'm going with the 15" only because it has a few more upgrades than the 12"...

OP
H

HeavyMetalG0d

12in has a full size keyboard but yea the screen is quite small for most.

OP
R

Ripped85

yea..so i think i'm going towards the 15...now i just have to decide whether to wait for an update or not

OP
C

chris041067

I went with the 15" and It is probably the best purchase I have ever made. Now that I have it i think the 12" would have been too small...15 is big enough while still being portable. The backlit keyboard and 80 gig HD also come in very handy.

Just a note - the 15" pbs have actually experienced more problems than the 12s as far as i know. But if you do happen have a problem, apple will help you out.

OP
M

masaka___

For your needs, I'd go w/ a 12". I had a 15" and it was too big for my tastes, and I ended up giving it to my cousin.

OP
T

TylerMoney

There really isn't much of a difference between the 12 and 15in powerbooks that the laymen will recognize...and I've always though that the idea of a laptop was to be as portable as possible. I have a 12" and I couldn't be happier. It's what I've always wanted in a laptop computer. I suggest the 12".

OP
T

TylerMoney

in reguards to deal pixel

NMRJock said:
I've got a 12" PB. I have no complaints about heat. I have one dead pixel. I really like the size of my laptop. I'm sitting in my living room watching a bad movie with my PB on my lap as we speak.

~Paul

Hey there. I saw your post and saw that you had a dead pixel. Well, reading on some other forums the other day I saw that for sinlge dead pixels, if you message them counter clock-wise very softly, you can fix them....I think it's counter clock-wise..anyways...I don't have a dead pixel..but if I get one, I'll try that.

OP
H

Hoosier

I've asked this same question in the switchers forum. I was worried about the 12 inch being too small. But I had the opportunity to work with a 12" at work for a few hours and I have to say, its fine with me. I'm going with the 12".

OP
S

StarManta

TylerMoney said:
Hey there. I saw your post and saw that you had a dead pixel. Well, reading on some other forums the other day I saw that for sinlge dead pixels, if you message them counter clock-wise very softly, you can fix them....I think it's counter clock-wise..anyways...I don't have a dead pixel..but if I get one, I'll try that.

Nope, my pixel is still dead. :-(

OP
B

Box_Man

Ok. Pertaining to the dead pixel issue.

I have one that is grey. I am guessing this one is dead. As opposed to a 'stuck' red or green that I have heard of.

Can you and bring the stuck pixels back, but the dead ones are..... ah, dead?

OP
S

s_ton

I've got the 12". I love it. I also have a 15" Windows Laptop. It gets kinda heavy when you carry it along with 3 textbooks. The 12" for me was only $1400 which was just about what I could afford. Time to save up for one of those new displays.

OP
M

mikeparana@adel

Go with the 15inch.

My brother has a 12inch and mine is faster, and my screen is buitiful. If your gona spend that type of money for a couyple hudred more you can get a much better machine. So if your gona go with 12inch, I'd go with a 12inch iBook, there isnt really much of a difference between the 12inch iBook and 12inch PowerBook. It would save you a lot of money too. So Id go with the 15 if your gona spend $2000 plus on a laptop.

OP
B

bru

I'm think about selling a couple macs I have and using the money to get another one. Actually, my issue is choosing between laptop or desktop. However, if I go with the laptop, it would likely be the 15". As much as I love the first revision 12" I have, I think i'd make use of the extra screen space. I don't need to take it around as much anymore, so the weight increase wouldn't be so bad.

The heat issues about the 12" are reffering to the first revision (867MHz), which generated far more heat than a normal laptop should. (I'll have to try cooking a meal on this one before I let it go.)

OP
P

pedXing

Is it really comfortable to run photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, etc. on a 12'' screen, im guessing not...im probably gonna get the 15'' but respond to this.

OP
I

i_luv_imports

i love my 12". it gets VERY hot though. and i'm not sure why, or if there is any way to keep it from getting hot. my boyfriend has a 15" and he loves his..the 17" is EXTREMELY HUGE though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.