Apple Mail Sorting

J

josephry

I am signed up on a ListServ mailing list that functions almost like a forum, every single response is sent to every single member so that everyone can be involved in the conversation. This is how it is supposed to function, but I do not like 20+ emails from the group going straight into my inbox a day. I have a smart folder that it all goes into, but is there a way that I can set it up so that it goes only into the folder and doesn't clutter up my general inbox? Thanks

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
josephry said:
I am signed up on a ListServ mailing list that functions almost like a forum, every single response is sent to every single member so that everyone can be involved in the conversation. This is how it is supposed to function, but I do not like 20+ emails from the group going straight into my inbox a day. I have a smart folder that it all goes into, but is there a way that I can set it up so that it goes only into the folder and doesn't clutter up my general inbox? Thanks

Joe

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you use the rules from the preferences menu of Mail. When you make the rule you can give it a color as well as other types of options. One of them is "move to" instead of "copy to" which is what it sounds like you are using. Let me know if works out.

Cheers,

James

OP
J

josephry

jdgaines said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you use the rules from the preferences menu of Mail. When you make the rule you can give it a color as well as other types of options. One of them is "move to" instead of "copy to" which is what it sounds like you are using. Let me know if works out.

Cheers,

James

What I had been initially hoping for was a way for the mail to avoid the INBOX alltogether and simply be placed in the smart folder. However, with the rules menu I was able to mark all of that mail as read and flag it, so that it is placed in my inbox discreetly (no NEW MESSAGE alert) and marked so I can erase it or move it). Thanks.

Joe

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can create a new mail box and then create a rule to move the in coming mail to be placed in that new mail box. As was suggested above. You will not see the mail in you inbox, but the folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.