New OS on Macbook

Reaction score
First off I would like to apologize for a few things:

A: I'm not sure if this is the right area. (To me it seems to fit both in the Operating System area and this one)

B: I can not figure out the search feature, so I'm sorry if this has already been said by others.

Okay now to my questions:

A: I looked for the tech specs needed to run the new OSX and found out that you need an apple proprietary processor. So does this mean the new OSX is not compatable with Apples most recent line of laptops?(ie. my macbook and new macbook pros?)

B: If this version is not compatible with the Intel series Apple computers, will Apple be releasing a version for them?

C: If the new OS is not compatible and they do plan to release another version for their Intel series, when would that be?

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Im really confused on why Apple would ignore their newest product.

And sorry again for posting here or at all if its already been discussed in the proper location.

Thanks Again

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The new OS will run on the intel systems. They are apple proprietary computers. What that is saying is you can't run osx on a system made by dell, or hp, etc.

OP
M
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
The new OS will run on the intel systems. They are apple proprietary computers. What that is saying is you can't run osx on a system made by dell, or hp, etc.

No you have misread the information provided, I said that it will not run on machines without a machine without an Apple proprietary PROCESSOR, not computer, meaning the Intel chipset series. On the site there is a list of pictures of compatable computers and the Intel series is not on it.

Apples new OSX system requirements

Sorry for sounding rude.

matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Umm.. You do know that if Apple is selling a Mac with intel that it could quite possibly work with OS X..
That link shows possibilities to upgrade. Since the Intel Mac's are the first of its kind the only OS it can run is Tiger so there is no reason to put it on the upgrade list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
All of apples intel computers come with the latest version of OS X (Tiger 10.4) since that was the version that was out when they were released and is still the most current version. You can't purchase Tiger for them but since every new machine comes with the disks to install you don't need to worry about it. When Leopard (10.5) comes out in the spring it will be universal binary (Meaning it can run on PPC and intel processrs)

Reaction score
The link to the Apple website page mentions:

Mac OS X Version 10.4 requires a Macintosh with:

PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor

These are discontinued processors for Apple....The intel based macs are all backward compatible so they run Tiger without any problems. :dive:

Reaction score
In the world of Apple, virtually any OS will work on any computer when released within 5 years from each other. Don't worry. If it has an Apple logo on it, you're safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Of course the latest OS X runs on a new mac, it categorically states that it is included with every new mac if you check the product pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, as was stated many times already, the newest OS (10.4 Tiger) comes installed on every new Mac be it an Intel or not.
Come to think of it... it would be really silly if Apple installed an OS and sold it on a computer if it wasn't going to work, wouldn't it? :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.