Freeware 2 Windowed FTP progam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP i5
I'm looking for a freeware 2 windowed ftp program, because I hate hopping around to drag files into the ftp program. Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

C

camcc

I second that - I use Cyberduck which is okay, but a 2 windowed FTP client with a local AND remote browser would be handy!

Anyone??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Freeware I am not sure I know of any. Transmit though cost but not all that much but does what you want and then some. It's a favorite of mine and many others here on the forums.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
bearME said:
Has anyone tried Fugu its freeware and has 2 windows?

I was going to mention it but did not know if it had 2 windows or not since I own Transmit and don't use anything much else.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well, how badly do you want to spend zero money? If you are in to a little effort, install Apple's X11. Then go get DarwinPorts and pick from any of a large number of two pane FTP clients for Linux that run as part of DarwinPorts. Apple's X11, DarwinPorts and all of the software packages it supports are all absolutely free (released under GPL I believe). The open source world is literally crawling with two pane FTP clients.

I use the venerable old Midnight Commander myself, but gFTP is very well regarded as well, along with LOTs of others. The most capable of them all, IMHO, is Konqueror, a file manager and FTP client and ... a LOT of other stuff. In fact a great many open source dual pane file managers support FTP client capability in one or both of their panes.

Back in the "pay for it" world, have you considered CaptainFTP? A nice package for Mac that I got more or less free - it was free on a DVD that comes with my MacFormat magazine subscription. Of course, that subscription isn't free, so I paid for it in the end!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP i5
For some reason with fugu I keep getting "request for subsystem sftp failed on channel 0 fugu" when I try connecting.

Reaction score
fugu uses sftp the error would make me think the server you tried to connect to is not set up for it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just buy transmit... I'm a poor starving student and even I bought it! It's really that good :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.