first post: what would be the best practices for take care of battery of my macBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
:dummy: hi, i just got my new macbook 13" and i use from 5 to 10 hours per day... i just calibrated the battery according the macbook user-manual, but sincerily its my very first lap top.
what do you recommend me? because im not sure if its better to have it always plugged to a/c (even when its fully charged) or only plug it to a/c when battery needs to be charged... (it means many recharges per day)

thanks in advance

Aldo

Reaction score
This is only my experiences with other devices, but isn't a/c going to preserve the battery life?

Like, if you're near a power source and have the adapter, then why use the battery?

OP
sugar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
and once i use it from battery should i use that way until battery goes low or can i plug to a/c even if battery its half charged? does it affect to the battery life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Um.. I would drain the battery then plug it in, just for good measure.

Also, keeping it on the A/C does not effect the battery, Just drain it at least once a month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM
what u can do is this. you can pull out the battery and just use the ac when u have a wall jack, that way your laptop runs straight of the ac, and when u don't have a ac, just use the battery alone, and when the battery runs low, then use both the ac and the battery. there you go. now you combined 2 strategies into one. xD hope i helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
itsdaydrmer said:
what u can do is this. you can pull out the battery and just use the ac when u have a wall jack, that way your laptop runs straight of the ac, and when u don't have a ac, just use the battery alone, and when the battery runs low, then use both the ac and the battery. there you go. now you combined 2 strategies into one. xD hope i helped.

Just don't have anyone trip over the power cord. It may be magnetic and detach instantly, with no battery your laptop lost its only source of power. Remember: The laptop is smart enough to stop charging the battery once its full and just redirects it to the computer.

OP
sugar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks to all!
great tips!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I thought with the new batteries you did not have to do that any more.

T

transamman1999

why would you drain the battery completely once a month??? using that logic would be similar to saying you should also let your vehicle's battery die once a month???

correct me if im wrong but i thought that the life of laptop batteries depended on the number of times it has cycled between charging and being discharged???
so, in my mind, the more it cycles, and the more times it goes below 50%, the quicker it will lose its ability to hold a full charge.

my old Toshiba PC laptop battery only holds about 1-3 minutes of charge now that it is 3-3.5 yrs old and has been discharged and recahrged so many times. that's why i think that purposely discharging your entire battery is the stupidest thing you could possibly do to a new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB
transamman1999 said:
i think that purposely discharging your entire battery is the stupidest thing you could possibly do to a new computer.
It's in the manual; it's the third step of calibration.

OP
sugar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, i read the manual and im not sure if would be a good practice to calibrate the battery monthly...
once again: its bad to plug the a/c adaptor even if battery is not fully charged?
i asked that because sometimes i need to turn on the macbook without a/c lets say for about 30 minutes and i dont know if let it drain or to plug to a/c for recharge...

Reaction score
Depends on how often you use it.

"Repeat the calibration process every two months or so to keep your battery fully functioning. If you use you MacBook infrequently, it's best to recalibrate the battery at least once a month."

I rarely use mine, so I do it every month. But if you use it a lot, then just do it every few months.

OP
sugar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i use it such 5~10 hours daily, and what do you recommend me when i use the battery power for 20-30 minutes, should i let it drain or can i plug it to a/c for continue using later?

T

transamman1999

whatever. i never plan on draining my battery completely. sounds utterly ridiculous to me. i dont understand how that can "re-calibrate" your battery.

OP
sugar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i remmember legacy celullar batteries use to lost its charguing capabilities if you plug it to a/c when isnt drained... is the same with lap top batteries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
apple put in that part of recalibrating your battery because they are a stupid corporation that doesnt know what is going on. they have no clue what is going on and that is why they ahve the smallest market share.

or, did they put it in because they know how you should maintain your battery?

also these are not old cell phones you are talking about, these batteries have memories and they should be recalibrated on occasion, it usually hapens without you planning it. "OH **** MY BATTERY DIED" = "hey wow i just recalibrated my battery again"

lets all research a bit about batteries before we start posting all this nonsense and speculation

thank you
-chris

Reaction score
sugar said:
i use it such 5~10 hours daily, and what do you recommend me when i use the battery power for 20-30 minutes, should i let it drain or can i plug it to a/c for continue using later?

You seem to be overly worried about it. It's quite simple. Calibrating your battery will NOT make it last forever. It just helps lengthen the life of the battery. You seem to use it frequently, so therefore you should do it every other month, just like the manual says. And when it dies, just buy a new one. If you even have it that long.

OP
sugar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
apple put in that part of recalibrating your battery because they are a stupid corporation that doesnt know what is going on. they have no clue what is going on and that is why they ahve the smallest market share.

or, did they put it in because they know how you should maintain your battery?

also these are not old cell phones you are talking about, these batteries have memories and they should be recalibrated on occasion, it usually hapens without you planning it. "OH **** MY BATTERY DIED" = "hey wow i just recalibrated my battery again"

lets all research a bit about batteries before we start posting all this nonsense and speculation

thank you
-chris

just take it easy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM
what is re-calibrating your battery anyways ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.