High Temp Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Hey everyone. Just got my macbook about a month ago. LOVE IT, works awsome. I finnally got rid of the PC's and now just have th Macbook and the Mac Mini. Anyways, finding alot of free software on the web and in random magazines, CoreDuo Temp is the latest. Runs in the menu bar next to the BT and Airport icons. It shows the % CPU used, the speed its currently running and the Temp of the computer. My Macbook is constantly running over 160degrees F. Anyone else constantly have a HOTT macbook. I mean i cant keep it on my lap sometimes cause it gets soo hott and i look at the temp and its over 100 degrees. Fan is running. Just wondering if anyone else gets this same problem.

www.macworld.com and search for Coreduo Temp

-Justin

F

Flash Fire

Nooo... I've never had it so hot that I can't have it on my lap. I have a MacBook too, with the 2.0GHz Core Duo. Not to mention, I also encode video and things like that, things that really stress the processor. I don't think I've had it over 160 degrees... but I have had the fan come on pretty fast. :)

What is the idle temperature of your processor? When I say idle, I mean having sat doing pretty much nothing for a few minutes (had enough time to cool off). Mine runs around 70 degrees Farenheit... running at 80% processor useage it seems to get up to about 85 degrees, running Folding AND encoding (the only way I can hit 100% processor useage) it runs around 125 degrees. Then again I ave my computer set on a desk and not my lap so, it probably runs a little cooler because of that.

Anyways, good luck. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I had a macbook and returned it. The fan was noisy and came on very quickly. My ibook G4 fan rarely came on, or I never heard it. I loved my ibook and was dissapointed with the macbook. Now I got a 20" imac. I love it just like my ibook. Hey flash fire I thought your name was referring to your macbook.... BAM FLASH FIRE!! lol Im glad you like yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
As long as it works, don't worry about monitoring the temperature all the time.

Make sure you have extended warranty so in case it melts in the next 3 years, you'll get a new one :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
maz94protege said:
I mean i cant keep it on my lap sometimes cause it gets soo hott and i look at the temp and its over 100 degrees.
Well...
Apple said:
Do not leave the bottom of the computer in contact with your lap
...that's why they are called notebooks and not laptops. :black:

Source - Apple Notebooks: Operating Temperature

C

CWMac

Ive yet to really notice the fan coming on much. Compared to most windoze lappys the macs are pretty quiet.

The new firmware seems to have cooled a lot of hot macs down but i think theres some that still have the old "three tablespoons" of thermal paste problem.

BTW the laptop / notebook thing is a little bit of a bum steer aint it :p If they were ment to be used on desks all the time theyd be called , well, desktops wouldnt they :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did the Firmware update. It does come on alot more. I dont have any problems with the performance either. Notebook/Laptop i always thought and called them the same thing... i guess you can call them portable too. but most macs are. anyways. The fan noise really isnt that bad, i was just wondering if anyone else had a Slightly WARM underside to their macbooks. I got the apple care so if anything does go wrong "sending it back". i might just get the iLap for it. so it stays up higher off my lap....hmm

Im still thinkin i need to run more ram, i only have the Dual 256chips stock in her. maybe thats making it run a little warmer.....then usual

I dont keep it plugged in either, i always run the batter down and then recharge it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
160 seems rather high, i'd suggest you contact apple regarding that. the reason i say that is because my watercooled 9million fan powermac g5 runs at 178*F

-chris

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea i may just have to do that this weekend. but like when i wake it from sleep shes around 90degrees F. soo ill look into that... thanks.

S

sursuciofla

Wait until winter, it will make a great heater! :radioacti :)

Look into the Targus lapdesk, I have it for my ibook although it doesn't get really hot I use it all of the time and it is wonderful. It will keep your legs and "laptop" separated very well.

T

transamman1999

my 2GHz, 2MB BlackBook has never gotten too hot for my lap w/ shorts on. gets warm but tolerable.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is tolerable. Just gets a little annoying when you pick it up and your legs all red and sweating and you dont realize it. But ill deff take it to apple store this weekend and see what they say about it.

C

CWMac

I just set my temp widget to show me F instead of celsius so i could be sure that my book was running cooler etc .

However after doing various things with the mb i found its runing at 56c or 133f which is the same ish as the OP. However i dont find this is too hot.For some reason this to me isnt hot to touch but just "a bit warm" as my daughter put it.

Also im struggling to hear if the fan is on but it must be cause it does cool down and remain stable temp wise.

Really if ya think these Mbs are hot try pc lappys, some of them will make toast for ya :p

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh i know completely about PC Lappys, i made eggs on mine one morn while goin to work. HAH. But i generally stay around 150, its 89degrees when i wake it then it goes up. But ill be taking it into APPLE tommorrow to get them to look at it

-J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
I had a chance to use my cousin's macbook and indeed it's a lot hotter than my ibook and I was just surfing the internet on her computer for an hour. I also have to state that she did not install the firmware updates. Nevertheless, the macbook does have a nice screen although I do prefer a matte screen. Keyboard is nicer as well and the build quality is a bit better than the ibook, no creaks like mine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.