How do you keep white macbook clean?

Reaction score
I try to avoid using it when i have sweaty palms or fingers, but i still see a tiny bit of staining in the palm section. Also im considering buying a silicon or any type of covers for the keyboard and palm rest.

as a poster mentioned, the one from http://www.onlycooltoys.com/index.php?p=product&id=71&parent=29 is good. and it does looks good, but i also need a palm rest. The Marware looks kind of crappy and the color really sticks out. does anyone know where i can get a transparent one?

i also saw this one on amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H99ZWS/?tag=macforums0e4-20
people say this one is good (reading from sellers comments left by buyers), how ever a the macbook doesnt close that well after this is put on.

so which one should i get? i would gladly purchase the one from onlycooltoys.com if someone can suggest a cheaper, or better looking palm rest that will work without interfering with closing the lid.

also, what type of products can i use to clean my macbook? my friend from holland told me CIF would do the job, but i cant find cif in store anywhere nearby where i live.

Reaction score
itsdaydrmer said:
i'd suggest this. http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APPMCBF.html
it's a tad more expensive, but the results speak for it self (check videos) also it seems like a good idea to invest in this for the long run because it also comes with a life time gurantee.

I watched the videos for the iPod shield only yesterday and was very impressed with the comparison between accessories protected/unprotected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I just use an external keyboard and never touch the surface :)

Reaction score
I've only had my white Macbook a week, and while it is still clean, I just noticed today that despite all my care in handling and a padded case for it, there are several scratches on the surface of the lid (probably from my wedding rings). I'm guessing these shells are a bit scratch prone? I saw this at ShieldZone:

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APSPOLISH.html

But it states emphatically it's only for iPods. Isn't the plastic case the same? Has anyone tried using this (or any other product) to buff out scratches on a white Macbook? I'm tempted by the same shield itsdaydrmer posted about, but since my laptop lid is already scratched, I hesitate to dish out the money unless I can first restore it to as close as pristine as possible. Any advice appreciated!

I need to stop this...I did buy this as a travelling machine...but I would like to keep my new shiny shiny as long as I can...

(does anyone know if there's a hyphen in anal retentive?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB
I bought the Full Invisible Shield for MacBook but had to wind up removing. After two weeks it made my notebook look grimy! Any attempt at washing it seemed to ingrain the dirt deeper into the plastic. Dirt also became attracted to the gaps between the plastic pieces. :(

S

sursuciofla

Yeah unfortunately they only give lifetime warranty against scratches, not how dirty it gets. I use nothing on the outside except "care" and put little PDA screen protectors on the trackpad and palmrest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
ive used "mr. clean magic eraser" on both ibooks ive owned, as well as my new macbook right where my palms rest, and it takes the dirty grimmy look right up! it truely is a magic eraser, and you can get it anywhere groceries are sold for about 3 bucks.

Reaction score
I've heard good things about that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser; I think I need to pick one up and not only for my Macbook!

I also found this:

http://podshop.com/idrops/

Hmmm. The feedback seems pretty good. I know you're right, sursuciofla, scratches are inevitable, but I wouldn't mind keeping the worst ones at bay. Sounds like I may need to give the Invisibleshield a bit more thought, though.

Now, on the flip side, I came across the problem of white scratches on a black Macbook. That got my attention in a hurry, as I bought my husband a black Macbook. He's used to his Asus and my old Thinkpads, which you'd pretty much have to rake with car keys to make a mark. He may have to be just a tad more careful now.

C

CWMac

Aptmunich said:
I just use an external keyboard and never touch the surface :)

Isnt that just a desktop machine then but underpowered? just curious.

BTW how did you get 1.25 gig of ram in your MB? two sticks of .... ? :D

Ive noticed a few people with that in their side info things. If assume they are taking 1024mb as a gig of ram (rightly so) but thats what it is, 1024mb =1gig not 1.2 lol. If you take 1000mb as a gig then 1024 is 1.2 ;)

S

sursuciofla

CWMac said:

Ive noticed a few people with that in their side info things. If assume they are taking 1024mb as a gig of ram (rightly so) but thats what it is, 1024mb =1gig not 1.2 lol. If you take 1000mb as a gig then 1024 is 1.2 ;)

256 stick and a 1gb stick 1.256 and you don't round up you round down which is 1.25...BOOM SHAKA LACKA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWMac said:

Good point - I do mainly use it at my desk to be honest, but every so often I just need a laptop, so there was no way around the macbook.

The iMac obviously offers slightly more bang for your buck, but at the time the 17" iMac was 150$ more expensive and didn't offer more cpu performance, just a larger harddrive, slightly higher screen res and a better graphics card.

I left one of the stock 256MB sticks in and added 1GB. You get better performance with matched ram (e.g. 2x 512), but this way I can always upgrade at a later point in time to 2GB.

C

CWMac

sursuciofla said:
256 stick and a 1gb stick 1.256 and you don't round up you round down which is 1.25...BOOM SHAKA LACKA!

My aplogies, i always assumed people would keep sticks paired for easy and speed of use :) Maybe personal taste but id always use matching pairs, old habits die hard i guess.

S

sursuciofla

Reason I do it is because on ibook 256 is soldered on and they give you one SO-DIMM. So 1.25gb is the max I can go. I can't really speak for Aptmunich though on why he chose that combo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run it like that because I only had enough cash for 1Gig for me and 1 for my girlfriend's macbook. (She doesn't think she needs it, but wanted the programs to open faster - go figure :))

I'll get a second gig later....

B

bigmikeyp

Well today (2nd day of having my macbook!) i looked down and I had gotten something on the palm area! I was annoyed with myself to say the least!

Anyway i decided to try and get it off... and I used Flash on a piece of soft cloth and it bought it up brand new! no problems with it at all... use it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
Yeah unfortunately they only give lifetime warranty against scratches, not how dirty it gets.

Well, sure, but I surely didn't expect it to be more difficult to almost impossible to clean, or to attract dirt more than the MacBook's naked surface!

S

sursuciofla

Aslain said:
Well, sure, but I surely didn't expect it to be more difficult to almost impossible to clean, or to attract dirt more than the MacBook's naked surface!

Yep and I thought about buying one too but I figured as much. I appreciate the user feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
Yep and I thought about buying one too but I figured as much. I appreciate the user feedback.
Glad to help, LOL. Too bad my experience cost me fifty dollars.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.