ichat disconnects me from AIM after sleep

Reaction score
ichat disconnects me from AIM

For some reason ichat keeps disconnecting me from AIM when my macbook goes into sleep mode and then when I try to log back in it won't let me and will say "lost connection unexpectadley" so I have to restart the computer and hope it works. For some reason this only happens after the hard drive has gone into sleep mode so I turned sleep off and things are fine but I don't want to have to keep it like this. Can someone please help. Also, in case it is important I use a netgear wireless router, I don't think that should matter though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When a computer goes to sleep, all programs are put to sleep so they cease to work till you wake it up.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, I read this, however my problem is a little different. I cannot log back into AIM from a sleep, ichat will keep disconnecting me saying "lost connection unexpectadley" and will do that 6, 7,8 .....etc.....times until I just restart the computer. I shouldn't have to restart the computer every time I want to log back into ichat. I should be able to get back in straight from sleep mode.

Reaction score
Check iChat prefs for some clue, can't think of anything else.....do you have dial-up or broadband.....don't know if it makes any diff just figuring...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is your Internet connection? DSL? Cable? How is the Mac hooked to the net? Does the WEB and Email come back after sleep or is it just iChat? I sleep my macs all the time and everything comes back right away. Sounds like the internet is not coming back up to me anyway.

OP
P
Reaction score
No, everything comes back right away except ichat. I have a wireless router connected to a cable modem. Again, it is only ichat.

Reaction score
You might need to poke around in the cable modems prefs...if that's at all possible.....I say this because I have DSL.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's only iChat, then something is messed up with it. If the Internet comes back up after sleep, then so should ichat. You might use Spotlight and look for the .plist file for iChat and zap that. You will have to re-enter all your settings, but it might work. If not, I am at a loss as I have never seen that happen.

Reaction score
ichat logs out after sleep

If it's only iChat, then something is messed up with it. If the Internet comes back up after sleep, then so should ichat. You might use Spotlight and look for the .plist file for iChat and zap that. You will have to re-enter all your settings, but it might work. If not, I am at a loss as I have never seen that happen.

Im having the same problem....only ichat and only after I upgraded to mountain lion

Reaction score
Well I fixed the issue on my iMac....If you go to system preferences and then to mail, contacts and calendars. In the left hand window you will see your accounts (iCloud, gmail....). Make sure you do not have a 'messages' account active with a 'mail' account that merges itself with messages. I had this and there was a login conflict once the computer went to sleep. Hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.