forgotten my password, help!!!

L

larryE

hi

i have just had to have my Hard drive wiped! luckily i managed to save all my data. however i lost all my programs. Now im trying to re-install them but i keep getting asked for my authentication password before i can go any further. Now i have'nt used this in long time but i was pretty sure i knew what the password was, but i tried it and many variations on what is could be, but to no avail. Im wondering if when the system was re-set that it reverted to factory settings or something. or is there a way of overriding it or finding a hint as to what it is. It is stressing me out as i have to install Office asap. Can anyone help?

thanks

Larry

Reaction score
boot from your install disk and up under finder you will find change password

OP
L

larryE

bearME said:
boot from your install disk and up under finder you will find change password

I havent got the install disk! are there other options?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
larryE said:
i have just had to have my Hard drive wiped! luckily i managed to save all my data. however i lost all my programs. Now im trying to re-install them but i keep getting asked for my authentication password before i can go any further.
From your description you stated that your hard disk was wiped, if that is the case you should have the pass word. Second if you started from a clean disk, then you have the install disks.

Please help us/me understand your situation better. Did you do a comlete reload, forgot the pass word and lost the installation media or did you just delete the data and not you are trying to re-install stuff.

In any case you r only recourse is to go out any buy the install media for the OS you are running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.