iMac g5 problem: hardware or software? help :(

J

jenn

In early 2005 my mom bought a 20" iMac G5 on my suggestion.

Earlier this year (a few months before warranty expd) it had a problem that the manual and tech support were not able to fix. I ultimately had to do a archive & install.

Now It's doing it again and I'm wondering if this may be a hardware issue. Could faulty RAM cause the following:

Computer starts, progress bar completes course, then a solid blue screen appears and persists.

Has anybody heard of this? Is doing another A&I my only option?

Thanx!

OP
S

Spencer326

Well -i got one for ya - my sound card works with itunes and hardware sounds... new mail, email sent sound, warning sounds.etc..but won't work with websites.....eh??? - is that software or hardware....?
Mines a 17in G5iMac -

sorry can be of help - someone help us out guys.... - please

Spencer , London

jenn said:
In early 2005 my mom bought a 20" iMac G5 on my suggestion.

Earlier this year (a few months before warranty expd) it had a problem that the manual and tech support were not able to fix. I ultimately had to do a archive & install.

Now It's doing it again and I'm wondering if this may be a hardware issue. Could faulty RAM cause the following:

Computer starts, progress bar completes course, then a solid blue screen appears and persists.

Has anybody heard of this? Is doing another A&I my only option?

Thanx!

Reaction score
My guess is a faulty power supply. Seen it twice on these machines - it's a known weakspot on the G5 iMacs. Good thing you booked the problem before the warranty was up. Call Apple, get a warranty repair going.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Spence: You'll get better traction for help with your problem if you start your own thread rather than piggybacking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
J

jenn

T H A N K Y O U Devilboy and Canadaram for your input! That's the exact sort of advice I hoped for. Now to follow these leads...

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you! :girl:

OP
J

jenn

Devilboy, the link you provided solved the problem right away. I was even able to walk my mom through it over the phone just now and she's elated!

I thought this was going to be some huge headache!

THANKS SO MUCH!

From the link:

You see an empty, blue screen. You might also see a progress indicator, which looks like a colored pinwheel or spinning disc

There are several different things you can try to fix this symptom. Go through each of them one by one until you find the solution. Some of them are advanced techniques, but give them a try.

[...]

An incompatible login item could cause this symptom.
For Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.3.9, start up in Safe Mode.
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
From the View menu, choose Accounts then click Startup Items. In Mac OS X 10.2, choose Login Items from the View menu.
Select all the login items and click Remove.
From the Apple menu, choose Restart.
If this resolves the issue, add the login items one at a time until the symptom occurs again. That way you'll know which one is incompatible. Repeat these steps and remove the incompatible item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You're welcome.
Glad to see everything worked out.
:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.