EVERY program quits—Imac Duo Core

A

alligatress

I am hoping someone can offer me some assistance. Our IT department recently replaced my G4 Quicksilver (which ran seamleassly with all of the same programs except InDesign, BTW) with the new 1.83 GHz Imac Duo Core (512MB).

Since the first start up, every program seems to quit for no reason whatsoever, even if it's the only program running. :mad: Some quit WHILE opening. This does not discriminate—Creative Suite2, Entourage, Firefox, Safari, Quark 6.5. Unfortunately, while they ordered me this mac, this is a PC company and they can offer me no tech support, whatsoever.

It seems to be worse since I've been running InDesign, or that may just be my perception. It is to the point where I cannot be productive at all. Can anyone offer assistance as to how I can figure out what is causing these constant crashes and fix this terrible issue?

Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It could be bad hardware, but it could also be a bad install, or incorrect permissions. I would first repair your permissions using disk utility, if it does not solve the problem, i would do a fresh install of osx. If the problem persists then call apple and tell them there is a hardware problem with your new computer (it is still with in complimentary support) and that is its causing you to have frequent crashes of all programs.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
fsck - file system check. You boot your system into single user mode and then run a fsck (file system check).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
Most people reinstall OS X once they receive their Mac to make sure everything is in working order. You should give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't believe most people do that, but some might.

Reaction score
I thought that a new mac user needed to experience the first install themselves....or maybe new macs come shipped with OS X pre-installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Paralex said:
Most people reinstall OS X once they receive their Mac to make sure everything is in working order. You should give it a try.
i think most people dont do that. but in this case it might work.

or you can repair your permissions, set up a new user and see if that still works. and then begin talking to apple because it is probably hardware related at that point.

pulse-8 it comes preinstalled all you need to do is set up your user account, takes about 5 minutes at most
-chris

Reaction score
My iMac G5 was shop stock and I reinstalled the OS. It took me a while to figure out how to replace their UserName with Mine as the owner .....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.