Cannot SEND mail from my new iMAC

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of a new iMAC20. I am struggling getting the MAC Mail program to work properly. I have set up my .mac account with the settings provided and I have RECEIVED mail successfully. I have added an account for my ISP mail server (Eclipse) and can also receive mail destined to that account.

I cannot send email from either .mac or eclipse email accounts.

I can access my Eclipse mail server via their webmail interface and have been sending mail that way for over a year.

Any ideas as to where to look ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the URL to Eclipse? I am trying to figure it out for you. I need their url.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks - all done...but as I said this is more than an ECLIPSE problem

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that does not work still, check these pictures and set your outgoing as Password and put in your username and password for Eclipse. See if that works.

I blacked out my info in the fields for security reasons! :spook:

Picture 1jpg.jpg

Picture 2jpg.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ctid said:
By the way since my mail sending problem exists on BOTH Eclipse and .mac I do not think Eclipse is the issue....something with my iMAC

If it receives email, it should send if all the settings are correct. Do remember, that most ISP's do not want you using a foreign SMTP server. If your Internet account is with Eclipse, use their Outgoing SMTP server for everything when sending email.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks but still no dice.....outgoing port for eclipse was not 25...it is now. I also set smtp.eclipse as the outgoing server for mail from my .mac account....but I still cannot send from either account

Reaction score
I'd give Eclipse a call.....they should walk you through the setup..and help you send an email successfully.

Reaction score
ctid said:
OK I opened a ticket with their techs

I think that's the best thing to do....they should pinpoint the problem quickly.

It seems like you have done everything right but still can't send emails.

Keep us posted on your progress.....!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 24", 64G 3G iPad
Change the Server port...

At least for .mac--> try changing the server port to 587 under accounts -- server settings. I was having the same issue until I did that.

ctid said:
I am a proud owner of a new iMAC20. I am struggling getting the MAC Mail program to work properly. I have set up my .mac account with the settings provided and I have RECEIVED mail successfully. I have added an account for my ISP mail server (Eclipse) and can also receive mail destined to that account.

I cannot send email from either .mac or eclipse email accounts.

I can access my Eclipse mail server via their webmail interface and have been sending mail that way for over a year.

Any ideas as to where to look ?

OP
C
Reaction score
shipsupt said:
At least for .mac--> try changing the server port to 587 under accounts -- server settings. I was having the same issue until I did that.

587 briefly fixed the problem for me for my .mac messages but I cannot send eclipse mail via the .mac smtp. When I try and send .mac messages now I am getting a message saying:

The SMTP server “smtp.mac.com” rejected the password for user “[email protected]

Please re-enter your password, or cancel.

If I use my .mac pwd I still get a failure....I think I need to go back and reset my .mac password but cannot see how to do that ?

AAAGGH !!

OP
C
Reaction score
OK I fixed the .mac problem by reinstalling the .mac account on macmail but cannot make the eclipse account send either via mail.mac.com or smtp.eclipse.co.uk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Did you change the port to 587 on the eclipse server.

Reaction score
i've had this problem in Outlook before. i think it was because msu.edu had a disagreeable protocol of some sort. I never fixed it.

since i've had my Mac the last few months though, i started using that account again and it works fine with Mail. Mich. state has switched to html e-mail now, i think 86ing telnet had the issue resolve itself.

have you tried calling phone support for either? they'll probably both blame the other, but you might get a Tech that has done this before and it has to do with inserting some goofy dns number somewhere deep in the setup.

OP
C
Reaction score
kevin_msu said:
i've had this problem in Outlook before. i think it was because msu.edu had a disagreeable protocol of some sort. I never fixed it.

since i've had my Mac the last few months though, i started using that account again and it works fine with Mail. Mich. state has switched to html e-mail now, i think 86ing telnet had the issue resolve itself.

have you tried calling phone support for either? they'll probably both blame the other, but you might get a Tech that has done this before and it has to do with inserting some goofy dns number somewhere deep in the setup.

Honestly no...I don't have the time....this is for PERSONAL email and I can send and receive via the HTTP interface so it is not a show stopper.

When you say 'they will both blame the other'....apart from Eclipse who are you thinking I should be involving here ? For me this is all pointing to an Eclipse issue ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.