iPod Alternative?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I love the iPods and all for their style and great integration with Mac and iTunes, but it seems these days everyone has one. I wanted to know if there are any alternatives that work great with iTunes and Mac? I am gearing this more toward a flash based player, but hard disk player will suffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
iPod + iTunes = better than everyone else :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
nope....nothing that you'll want to know about....HEELLLOOOO!!!!!! =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
iPod is the best, you can always get one of the many other mp3 players just because not many others have them, but you'll always know in the back of your mind you have an inferior product! ;)

There really isn't anything else worth considering :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I had a Karma, which was nice, but my ipod blows it out of the water! I didnt understand what the big deal was with the ipod until I got one. :)

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Ultimately, iPod is an MP3 player with tremendous style and huge market share. It is also the ONLY MP3 player in the world that works with iTunes. So if you are looking for MP3 + iTunes, iPod is your only choice... and it is a darned good choice at that. iPod is a wonderful machine. I love mine (both of them).

HOWEVER, if you JUST want an MP3 player, the market is saturated with them. The next closest one, style wise, would seem to be the Sansa e200 player from Sandisk, now available in 8GB as well, and one up on Apple right now in that you can add an extra 2GB memory card, bringing it up to 10 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rogueace said:
Hey everyone, I love the iPods and all for their style and great integration with Mac and iTunes, but it seems these days everyone has one.
I'm not sure I understand... it would seem that you perceive this to be a negative thing. :confused:
Who cares how many people have them or don't have them? If you want one and can afford it, then I say get one. Does it really matter if some see them as "trendy" or "chic" and that some see them as some sort of fashion accessory or statement? No, it doesn't.
:) :black:
sursuciofla said:
There is no alternative. iPod is one-of-a-kind.
True dat.

:cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
mac57: Ultimately, iPod is an MP3 player with tremendous style and huge market share. It is also the ONLY MP3 player in the world that works with iTunes. So if you are looking for MP3 + iTunes, iPod is your only choice... and it is a darned good choice at that. iPod is a wonderful machine. I love mine (both of them).

Can I ask what you mean by this: It is also the ONLY MP3 player in the world that works with iTunes. Sorry, not an iPod owner nor an iTunes user, the only time I have used iTunes it was to convert some music to .aac format to stick it on my walkman phone.

iPods are good looking things, but I can understand someone wanting to be a bit unique.

Still I guess there are always cutomising options available.

Whether it's for you or someone special, engraving makes iPod more personal. Just follow these simple steps.

1. Visit the Apple Store online and select the iPod or iPod nano of your choice.
2. Enter your message on the personalization page.
3. Click to buy your laser engraved iPod or iPod nano.

Make it personal with free engraving for your iPod.
-Apple Store, UK

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
alternative to an ipod

looks like the answer is a definite no :mac:

p.s. so far anyway, maybe if the same question was asked
in a non mac/apple environment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Yeah I agree, incase you havent noticed we are all a little bias! ;) Its ok guys we love our apple products and stand by them, nothing to be ashamed of!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
mac57 said:
Ultimately, iPod is an MP3 player with tremendous style and huge market share. It is also the ONLY MP3 player in the world that works with iTunes.

Actually, that's not true. My old RIO 600 player works with iTunes just fine.

D

DV'sG4

iPod's are unbeatable and top of the notch..I'm still wondering when an Apple PDA/Smartphone will come out..and hopefully Apple chooses a good wireless carrier..sighh..it's so far off though )=

Reaction score
i like my iRiver better.

it CAME with an FM radio (not a crappy $50 attachment that screws up the volume levels), a leather case, cables and cables and connectors and a mic and all that jazz.

good luck finding one though. they didn't sell very well in the US.

iPod is the standard now, even more solidified by chevy and ford putting the docks in stock cars

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Everyone is quite right, my statement wasn't complete enough. I meant that it was the only MP3 player that works with "the iTunes Music Store". Now if that isn't true, I will be surprised... but I stand ready to be surprised. Does ANY other MP3 player play music downloaded from the iTunes Music Store?

Jem

Reaction score
I had an iRiver iHP-120 (H-120 same thing) and loved it, thought it was much better than the iPod (and it integrates with iTunes with a utility). In some ways it was, but I ran out of space and went for the 60GB 5G iPod on a whim and it's just sooooo much nicer to use.

There are some things I miss - the optical output was great for linking into my home cinema amp for crystal clear sound and the pretty much bulletproof construction. I must confess I never did use the FM radio or the recording capability.

What is it with the iPod construction? Don't Apple intend it to be USED??? Aesthetically it's beautiful for the first few days then the scratches set in... I sold my iRiver after 18 months hard wear and it looked as good on the day I sold it as it did when I bought it. Can't see me getting as good a return on my iPod when I upgrade :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.