Buying a Macbook in 2 weeks have a few questions.

P

prodikal

1. How much of a difference is there between, 512 and 1gb of ram on a mac.
2. If I should get more ram is it worth it to just get more ram when I buy it or after from a 3rd party.
3. Could anyone tell me how much free space is on the hard drive when you initially get it? (assuming I only got the 60gb hdd)
4. I need winXp to run DeltaV for work, should I run with Parallels or Bootcamp?

Thanks.

OP
S

sursuciofla

prodikal said:
1. How much of a difference is there between, 512 and 1gb of ram on a mac.
2. If I should get more ram is it worth it to just get more ram when I buy it or after from a 3rd party.
3. Could anyone tell me how much free space is on the hard drive when you initially get it? (assuming I only got the 60gb hdd)
4. I need winXp to run DeltaV for work, should I run with Parallels or Bootcamp?

Thanks.

1. Depends on what Apps you plan on running.

2. 3rd party is a lot cheaper than buying from Apple.

3. 37-40 GB (only b/c I don't know how much Tiger takes up w/ apps) I think you can only use around 55GB of a 60GB hdd

4. Can't answer this one as I am not on Intel Mac.

*NOTE* I have 80gb hdd on my ibook and with nothing other than OS and preistalled apps I had about 65-68 gbs

Roo

Reaction score
For number 4, I would suggest using Bootcamp, unless you get 2 gigs of ram. Bootcamp runs natively, while parallels, though not slow, doesn't run as fast.

You could always use both though if you call up Windows and explain to them that you're loading Windows XP on the same computer. That's what I did, anyway.

OP
T

transamman1999

definitly get 1 or 2 gigs of ram from a third party co.

my 512 just aint cuttin it. UPS.com says that my 2 gigs of ram is out for delivery as i type this so ill let you know how much of a difference it makes for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Roo said:
For number 4, I would suggest using Bootcamp, unless you get 2 gigs of ram. Bootcamp runs natively, while parallels, though not slow, doesn't run as fast.

You could always use both though if you call up Windows and explain to them that you're loading Windows XP on the same computer. That's what I did, anyway.
Is it just to install bootcamp and parallels after each other and will XP be on the HD twice or how does that work? I think someone in an other post said it was not possible to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
It seems that most people who upgrade the memory on their macbooks experience a significant boost in performace, in some extreme cases I know some people have reported a 4x performance upgrade when going from 512 MB RAM to the maxed out 2GB RAM

OP
P

prodikal

Thanks for the replies! One last question, assuming I buy 3rd party ram:

1. Is there a list on this site of approved ram/sites to buy them?
2. Is it easy to do? (ive build too many desktops/servers to count, but this is my first mac)
3. If not, will the apple store install 3rd party ram? or tell me to get lost?

Thanks again in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.