A few questions (please help!)

Reaction score
I am very interested in buying a mac. I'm not very familiar with the mac operating system, and that really worries me. How easy/difficult is the switch from pc to mac?

Other questions:
What is the best web browser to use on a mac? I heard that some websites won't load on certain browsers.
Do macs come with Adobe Reader, or do you have to download it online?
What software is best to burn CD's? Do macs come with a burning program?
What do you need to buy to have wireless internet with a mac laptop? Is it called a router or something? Are those expensive?

I know I have more questions, but at the moment that's all I can think of!

Thank you so much to anyone who can answer my questions! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
sunshine1686 said:
I am very interested in buying a mac. I'm not very familiar with the mac operating system, and that really worries me. How easy/difficult is the switch from pc to mac?

Other questions:
What is the best web browser to use on a mac? I heard that some websites won't load on certain browsers.
Do macs come with Adobe Reader, or do you have to download it online?
What software is best to burn CD's? Do macs come with a burning program?
What do you need to buy to have wireless internet with a mac laptop? Is it called a router or something? Are those expensive?

I know I have more questions, but at the moment that's all I can think of!

Thank you so much to anyone who can answer my questions! :)
Its not a hard switch at all. My father is 60 years old, and I just had him switch and he had NO problems.

That is absolutely right that some sites dont load on some browsers. Just like windows (take FEMA for example, they totally screw firefox users, hey.... just like all of us in Florida :) ). No one I know has any problems with either firefox or safari. Burning is built into the system. A router will run you about $50 bucks, not expensive by any means.

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to tell you to think over your switching. Take a pen and paper (seriously) and list out the reason for buying a mac. From what I can tell, you are a more casual user.

Since you don't know the Mac OS, how can you tell that it is what you need?
It is very possible that Windows is a better choice for you. Please consider that.

As for the questions:

1. OS X comes with Safari, a great browser tha works with 99.99% of all sites. It is the first browser to pass programming standards, and thus if a site fails, it's the site programmers fault. But Safari will do the job for you. Of course, you also have the choice among others like Firefox for Mac, Camino and Opera. Try them out, find the best one for YOU.

2. OS X is an OS that is based on PDFs in the graphics core. This means that PDF is built in as a system feature, and you'll have a great experience in this field. You don't need Adobe Reader, Macs come with a program called Preview which do the job, only better and faster.

3. OS X again has integrated burning. You just have to create a "burn folder" (is a simplae as creating a normal folder) and drop things in in. Then hit the "burn" button in the burn folder. That's all.
If you want advanced functionailty, you might like to buy Rocio Toast, which is compaable to Nero Burning ROM. It can make VCD's and DVDs. As for DVDs, iDVD is very good for making Menus.

4. For wireless, you need a sender and a receiver. A receiver is already in your Mac. A sender is to be purchased. You'll want what is called a "Wireless Router". You get them cheap and inexpensive. You can then hook a cable from your Modem to your Router, which has an antenna, and spread the signal. Apple makes wireless routers, called Aiport Base stations. You don't need an Apple Router to run with you mac, any Router will do. Consult your shopkeeper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yogi said:
First of all I'd like to tell you to think over your switching. Take a pen and paper (seriously) and list out the reason for buying a mac.
I second this idea.
It would appear that your current computer needs are met already. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies.

D3v1L80Y and yogi, I would say my computer needs are already being met except I hate how Windows has so many viruses and how my computer randomly shuts down. Plus macs look so nice! lol. So you think I should just stay with a pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sunshine1686 said:
So you think I should just stay with a pc?
Yes. If your needs are currently being met, there really is no need to go to a different platform. If you are interested in getting to know the Mac OS, I would suggest keeping your current setup and getting an older model G4 to get your feet wet with that first. That way, you don't need to make such a large financial investment and you still get the chance to acclimate yourself to a new OS.

Reaction score
Sure the aesthetics are one point why you want a mac. And jsutified, so, Macs DO look good.

But if you are just tired of viruses consider setting your computer up to resist them. Unless you do that, you'll only end up frustrated if a switch to Mac OS is too cumbersome for you.

My tips to keep PC's running very smoothly:

Virus:

Use AVG AntiVirus Free Edition

Firewall:

Keep Windows Firewall on

OR

use a hardware wireless router that has a firewall.

Buy TuneUp Utilities 2006 . Use it to clean and maintain your computer.

I have 3 PC's in my home I maintain for my family, and all never saw a virus. It's all about knowing how to take care. Crashes will be fixed with TuneUp.

If that all doesn't help, sure, take a look at macs. But don't make hasty decisions you'll regret, because Macs ARE different, and there IS a learning curve, and Macs DON'T do everything your heart might desire. (It does everything MY heart desires, though ;-) ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yogi said:
Macs ARE different, and there IS a learning curve, and Macs DON'T do everything your heart might desire. (It does everything MY heart desires, though ;-) ).
Some of the best advice I have seen in a while.
Macs are fine machines, and yes, I prefer them over Windows. That is because Macs work best for me and what I do. The same can't always be said for the next guy. I have been using Macs for 20 years now, and Windows for just over 10. I have had plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons of each OS and while I still use both platforms, I still prefer Macs.
They ARE different and don't operate in the same fashion that Windows systems do.
If you do decide to get a Mac, then you must forget anything and everything about Windows while you are learning on and working on the Mac. In all my years, that is the only sure-fire way that you will fully understand the Mac OS. Don't look for Mac-equivalent apps for Windows programs. Don't say things like "but, in Windows it was done like _______" or "In Windows, all I had to do was _______".
That doesn't matter if you are working on a Mac. Thinking like Windows is only going to make learning the new OS that much harder.

:black:

Reaction score
My only concern with this thread is a possible overstating of the differences between the two platforms.

I had to use Windows at a new workplace after using Macs for 20 years — since System 6. My own computers always were Macs, and it still is. I ran Windows 95 (when it was current) on a previous Mac using emulation, and after only a couple of weeks I had progressed to the point where RegEdit was old hat. After I changed the system's icons and file names to those of Macintosh and made it look as much as possible like it was a Mac OS, I dumped it because it was pointless.

Really, a switch would be no big deal. Rocket science it ain't. You double-click icons, you open folders, you copy, you paste. The only real problems, other than breaking some habits, such as going to the wrong side of a window to close it and expecting to quit a program when you close its last window (differences Microsoft created when it introduced Windows), would be your inability to access WMP stuff with DRM, or half-baked websites using Active-X.

After 20 years using Macs at work, I had no trouble switching to the Windows 2000 setup on Dells at my new place of employment, other than cursing Windows' clumsiness and the third-rate networking apps everyone is forced to use because of the IT department's anti-virus straitjacket. Viruses and spyware over-ride all other concerns there, and the only people who realize how crippling this is use Macs at home. The Windows-only users don't know anything different and probably think it's the best there is. I'm surprised they don't all drive Trebants.

I can't say I was surprised at how similar Windows 2000 is to Windows 95. I suspect I could sit down at a machine running XP and find it too similar to 95 for words.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks again for all your replies!

I'm still stuck with what laptop to get. At another forum everyone is urging me to get a mac, and I want to so bad, but I just can't make a decision! lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.