After Re-installing OS comp loads slightly slower

Reaction score
After erasing bootcamp I decided to reinstall the mac osx because I got a solid question mark when I was loading up. The reinstall was completley succesful and maybe it's just me, but it seems the computer loads up slightly slower. What i mean is: When OSX is loading and under the apple you see the circle loading thing. the little thing that circles seems like it takes more revolutions for the osx to load than before. Sorry if this is confusing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
precisionelite said:
After erasing bootcamp I decided to reinstall the mac osx because I got a solid question mark when I was loading up. The reinstall was completley succesful and maybe it's just me, but it seems the computer loads up slightly slower. What i mean is: When OSX is loading and under the apple you see the circle loading thing. the little thing that circles seems like it takes more revolutions for the osx to load than before. Sorry if this is confusing.

I have that exact same problem. I was curious about that too. Nice to know I am not alone here. Sorry I can't help.

A

astewart

htdefiant said:
I think anytime you have to reinstall the default OS, it may be slower.

Ahh, that is incorrect sir. Usually doing a Fresh install of the OS usually cleans things up....Otherwise if you had to Reinstall the OS more then once, it would just get slower and slower...

You can try Zap the PRAM to see if that makes a Difference.

A

astewart

precisionelite said:
Zap the PRAM? how do i do that?
Thanks!

Well, It might be even better if you try Repairing Permissions first, which is done through the Disk Utility App.
Another Good Utility to look into is Onyx.

If that doesn't speed things up, just restart your computer and upon Booting up (After the Chimes) hold down Command-Option-P-R keys and let it go through 3 Start-up Chimes before releasing the Keys.
Thats how you Zap the Pram.
:)

OP
P
Reaction score
I repaired the permissions and zapped the PRAM and that didn't do it. I'm not really that concerned, just seems sorta strange is all. Anything else I could try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
First off, reinstalling your OS is always a last-ditch option to fixing something in Mac OS. There are always alternatives that will correct any situation you may run into without the need for a reinstallation. Even Apple agrees:
Apple said:
...save reinstallation for your last option.
Source: Apple Support Article
The "clean install" trash and burn technique of fixing problems is more of a Windows "solution" to things. This ain't Windows. :black:

As far as your computer running slower, I would think that is merely your own perception. I can't think of any logical reason as to why it would be running at any different speed. Counting revolutions of the startup wheel or counting 'bounces' in the Dock of a launching application are NOT credible or valuable measures for calculating anything.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i'm a switcher hehehe. I have a problem now man. Last night I shut my computer down and then turned it back on. When it turned on i had all these vertical lines appear on my screen. The longer I wait the more lines there are, like pink,yellow,red, it's weird i tell ya. I had to flash the ram to get it to load right. Works fine now though, I wonder what caused that.

S

sursuciofla

Yeah I remeber when I first switched to high speed internet...I was like WHOA!!!!! Then months later I was lie, this seems slower. I guess once you get used to something your perception changes. It just ends up feeling like normal but doesn't give you same feeling when it was new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.