Your opinion. RAM. Whats decent, enough?

A

Axxis22

At 1gig now. What is enough. 3-4 gigs?

typical programs running always. Pshop - Dreamweaver - Itunes - adium - safari

thanks

OP
S

sursuciofla

Axxis22 said:
At 1gig now. What is enough. 3-4 gigs?

typical programs running always. Pshop - Dreamweaver - Itunes - adium - safari

thanks

That's good right now but if you want to have multiple apps open at same time then the more resources you have the better. 2GB is probably good but like I said the more the merrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
1-2 GB would suit you fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
Don't forget about setting up your FB-Dimms to run at optimun performance. If your going to upgrade figure out what exactly you want in terms of GB's then try to work that out with four Dimms

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
anandtech says 2GB is the sweet spot for most performace at the least cost.

as for myself, I got the standard 1Gb and I will buy an addtional gb once the mac pros RAM is more common and cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Remember that the more sticks you put in there, the higher the latency will be. Also remember that if you don't have at least 4 sticks, you can't take full advantage of the "quad-channel" memory architecture. The sweet spot is 4 sticks, so as Vagrant said, figure out how much memory you want to have and make sure you have 4 sticks total for optimal performance.

OP
A

Axxis22

ahhh good info ^^

I would assume the stock 1 gig is 2 512's right?

If I want to sit at 2 gig's.. I can just get 2 512's again to match it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
4 x 512 or 4 x 1gb

I say either 2gb or 4gb. or more, but no less then 2. I would say get the 2, since there is no need to have more then that. I have 4, all 512 sticks.

OP
A

Axxis22

yea, that could be an option.. 4 gigs all 512's

ideas for websites? thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
16 gigs.. that should just barely make it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Vagrant said:
Don't forget about setting up your FB-Dimms to run at optimun performance. If your going to upgrade figure out what exactly you want in terms of GB's then try to work that out with four Dimms

How would I do this. I have 1.5 GB on a Powerbook 1.67 GHz. I am always running several programs. Probably the least I run is 5-6 When I am web developing (SubethaEdit, Safari, iTerm, Photoshop, Cyberduck, iTunes) and then if you count Apps that are basically always running like Dashboard, Finder and most of the time an aim client and apple mail... it starts to add up. How can I optimize my RAM to make my computer faster.

Right now I have a 1GB strip and the 512 that came with the computer. There are two slots to my knowledge on the powerbook. I put the 1GB in the slot closest to the bottom of the machine. Is this correct?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The configuration of four Dimms only applies to the FB-Dimms that are found in the Mac Pro, it doesn't apply to any other computers in the Mac line. The only thing to consider with the Powerbook is it is supposedly better to match the Dimms ( 2x 512, or 2x 1GB) but I don't think it is really necessary, can someone verify that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Vagrant said:
The configuration of four Dimms only applies to the FB-Dimms that are found in the Mac Pro, it doesn't apply to any other computers in the Mac line. The only thing to consider with the Powerbook is it is supposedly better to match the Dimms ( 2x 512, or 2x 1GB) but I don't think it is really necessary, can someone verify that?

Yeah, that was all I was asking. Basically, am I wasting ram since I have two ram strips that are diff sizes. And should the bigger one be the one closest to the motherboard?

OP
T

topgun072003

I don't think matching ram in the powerbook is a big issue. I also don't think it matters which ram is closer to the motherboard. If you wanted to add more ram, the only way to go would be to buy another 1gb stick and replace the 512 with the 1gb. Thus giving you 2gigs of ram total. But I don't think your wasting ram with the setup that you have now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
good info on the four sticks.

Will I still take advantage of the quad-channel memory architecture if I have more than 4 sticks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the only other quad channel configuration is eight Dimms, but then you pay higher latency penalties, which is why four 2GB sticks is preferrable to eight 1GB sticks. From what I've read we have to wait for the Xeons processing power to become great enough to overcome the latency issues with the FB-Dimms to make it more worth filling eight slots. There is an awesome article from anandtech floating around here somewhere, you should search for it because it explains everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.