80 GB iPod arrived today!! :) No firewire support for 5G????

E

EvilJack

It's sweet! I'm pretty excited. Being a 4G iPod owner, I quickly plugged it into my firewire connection and it tells me this isn't supported. What's up with that? An older iPod is compatablewith newer technology and the newer iPod is not?

OP
S

sursuciofla

I think it has to do with cost as well as being more PC friendly, seeing as to how many people still don't have firewire cards. I agree with you it really sucks that you can't use firewire. I'm glad I have a photopod. But it sucks that the cable didn't come with it. So I never bothered to buy it since it's just stupid to waste $20 +tax. usb 2.0 is slow but I live with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Firewire or IEE1394 is actually older then USB2.0, I like the fact my 4G iPod has both cables and a wall charger, my Girlfriend just bought a 5G ipod and we found the same thing trying to use my firewire cable :(, oh well USB2.0 works almost as well, it runs slower on Macs but faster on PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The nanos and original 5G iPods took away support for transfer through FireWire. You can still charge via FireWire though

OP
F

fliP

That sucks so much. I want FW on myPod!!! I think FW800 should be the standard port on all PC's until something faster comes out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
this has been common knowlege for quite some time now people. anyway ill get further into this now.

taking away firewire helps reduce size of ipod
taking away firewire helps the ipod be more universal between macs and pcs
taking away firewire reduces constant file transfer speed
++mac users are upset by this because they can no longer update their ipod in 3 minutes
++PC users dont care because it takes them 10 years to do everything else on their computer anyway
lack of firewire also reduces product costs, they need to send less cables, etc etc etc.

you notice that your USB cord is only like 3 inches long? it is apple trying to save a buck like very other company in the world.

not much is faster than firewire and nothing can really be much faster anytime soon, PC's should adopt the technology more and make life easier and faster for everybody because everybody knows that firewire is faster than usb2.0 in the long haul

-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love Firewire, but on an iPod it really does not make that much difference in transfer speed at all. The Small Hard Drives in the large iPods are not that fast. USB2 is fine.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Firewire interface, but on the iPod it's really not needed. I was mad at first but got over it.

FireWire Flys on a fast hard drive and that is FW400. Don't let the specs fool you. There is a lot of Overhead with USB2 and it's not as fast as some think, but it's fine for Flash Drives and the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i agree with you dtravis7 in some ways but firewire is going to be faster, on average, than usb2.slow even if the HD cant write that fast, it never has to wait to get more information.

now, like we mentioned in the IRC chat, how about flash based ipods, would they benefit from the speed of firewire? i belive they will and once the regular ipod is flash based firewire should come back
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I got into an almost WAR once on some forums standing up for Firewire over USB 2.0. I have done tests with top of the line 7200RPM External Hard Drives with both FW400 and USB 2.0. A friend and I tried it on his G5 Dual 2.0. He used a Zip of all his music that was 1.5 GB or around that. We first tried USB 2.0. Took 10 minutes to transfer from the internal SATA to the External. We then formatted the drive to be sure, and did it again with FW400. Took 5 minutes. I came home and tried it on my G4 Tower and Mac Mini with a file about the same size. Same difference. Like I said in my other post, Numbers like 480 Vs 400 don't tell the whole story.

OP
M

macgeek2005

I love my 40GB iPod Photo. It came with a dock, a real carrying case, an AV cable, a Firewire cable, and USB cable.

It was one of the latest ipods that they actually gave you stuff with. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The problem we often see though, is that when an iPod is really deeply discharged (i.e. been left lying in a room for a month without use), connecting it to USB sometimes won't let it charge. You either need the wall plug (which isn't included), or you give it a good old firewire jolt!

Charging an iPod via Firewire will wake the deepest discharged batteries...

Reaction score
how much faster can it be? when i put a new album on it taks like 35 seconds. when i put a new set of videos in, it takes a minute or two.

how much faster do you need it to be?!

Reaction score
kevin_msu said:
how much faster can it be? when i put a new album on it taks like 35 seconds. when i put a new set of videos in, it takes a minute or two.

how much faster do you need it to be?!

Light speed mang.... LIGHT SPEED ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
as fast as it used to be would be pretty nice.

also when you manually update your files often and have to load a lot of stuff and you want it done quickly....that will not happen unless you go firewire.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Same difference. Like I said in my other post, Numbers like 480 Vs 400 don't tell the whole story.

I am not too hip on the difference between USB 2.0 and FW400 but I believe USB2.0 transfers at 30MB a sec, where FW400 transfers at 40MB a sec. I believe that's at top speed. Whether or not your computer or device can handle those speeds is a different story.
Peace,
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I am not too hip on the difference between USB 2.0 and FW400 but I believe USB2.0 transfers at 30MB a sec, where FW400 transfers at 40MB a sec. I believe that's at top speed. Whether or not your computer or device can handle those speeds is a different story.
Peace,
Bryan

Well USB2.0 top speed is 480 Mbps and firewire 400 is 400Mbps. Those numbers equal 60MBps for usb and 50MBps for firewire. Now those are max speeds, but firewire was designed for high "sustained" speeds, while usb is more prone to speed "spikes". In theory usb is 20% faster, in reality firewire is 20-30% faster due to it's constant speed while usb speeds will fluctuate from high to low in a single transfer.

Reaction score
I have just got a new ipod Video.

Does it support Firewire 400 (assuming I buy the appropriate cable), or must I use the included USB2 one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You MUST use USB2, the new iPods do not support Firewire for data transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Peace,
Bryan

LOL... you are aware that the previous post to yours is 7 months old right? :D

This might be of interest to you: Post by Baggs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.