Which is better, emac or imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
sLiCk_InCoNtRoL said:
Go On....... Tell Meeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):)

From a purely performance perspective, the iMac is currently the "better" machine, but I love eMac's, and they are a tremendous value. The be honest, either would be an excellent choice, and as with any Mac purchase, you really can't make a bad decision (within reason).

OP
S

super_doop

Padawan said:
From a purely performance perspective, the iMac is currently the "better" machine, but I love eMac's, and they are a tremendous value. The be honest, either would be an excellent choice, and as with any Mac purchase, you really can't make a bad decision (within reason).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by purely performance value. I think it really depends on what you are going to use the machine for. For me comparing the two models was more of a price difference. An emac fit better in the budget, plus I wanted more power. In buying an eMac, I added a superdrive, more memory and better speakers for cheaper than an iMac. Plus I added a Canon ZR70 digital camcorder and Final Cut express for all about the same price as decent iMac. I like the iMac because of the space saving quality, but the only big difference is the flat panel screen. The eMac is a tad bit bigger, but has a flat CTR screen which is really bright and sharp! I compared it to my friend's iMac and I think it has a little better quality of image. To sum up let me mention my first point though, it depends on what you want it for. I do graphic design and other media, and I am on a tight buget, so I didn't care as much about getting an iMac. I agree wholeheartedly with the Padawan's note that you can't make a bad decision when it comes to a Mac. I am so hooked on this machine now after spending years with a clone and working in a Windows-based I.T. department. If you live anywhere near an Apple store, I say go there now and just spend a hour or so comparing the two machines. Okay, I said too much. have a great day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
super_doop said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by purely performance value. I think it really depends on what you are going to use the machine for.

If you compare the specs of the two current machines, the iMac is obviously the faster/more powerful machine. The iMac is available with a faster processor, has a faster bus, has the availablity of a better video card, runs DDR RAM, etc. Again, the eMac is an excellent value and a powerful machine, but simply not as powerful as the iMac.

OP
S

super_doop

Padawan said:
If you compare the specs of the two current machines, the iMac is obviously the faster/more powerful machine. The iMac is available with a faster processor, has a faster bus, has the availablity of a better video card, runs DDR RAM, etc. Again, the eMac is an excellent value and a powerful machine, but simply not as powerful as the iMac.

Well you got me there.

OP
C

culturaldesign

looking at the specs of each, the imac should easily beat the emac in most to all tasks. But if you read the reviews of the emacs performance, then infact in most cases the emac actually out performs the imac.
(only by a couple of seconds mind you - follow the link to see)

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Apple_eMac/4505-3118_16-21235745-4.html

I own 2 imacs, one of the last G3 indigo imacs, and one of the original G4 700 mhz imacs - and have to say that blow for blow, i prefer the older imac.

Its simple why, memory in the new imac is extortionate. It doesn't like running classic one bit - which is a major flaw as I'm a graphic designer and need classic for Quark and such.

The new one does look the dogs nuts, but the resolution on it, like the older version is naff. and theres this niggling graphics bug in it which occasionally eats away at the dektop making it look lined and grainy.

as the 1GHZ emac is selling for £650, I have been looking into getting one - but what are they really like? I'd be using photoshop in OSX , but I'd also be using classic alot too - are they really upto scratch,fast and reliable?

WHICH WOULD YOU RECOMMEND - BUY THE EMAC AND SELL THE IMAC'S OR KEEP THE IMACS?

HELP PLEASE!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.