aftermarket 7200RPM Drives?

E

EK03

Hey, im going to be buying a new 15" powerbook in a few days. I was thinking about getting that 5400 RPM 80 gig hard drive but i wanted to know if theres aftermarket 7200 rpm drives out for the powerbook. Also im switching from PC to mac, im a windows expert hardware and all so would it be complex to reinstall the OS on the new HD if there is one avalible? Never used OS X but have heard nothin but good things

OP
H

hokiethang

EK03 said:
Hey, im going to be buying a new 15" powerbook in a few days. I was thinking about getting that 5400 RPM 80 gig hard drive but i wanted to know if theres aftermarket 7200 rpm drives out for the powerbook. Also im switching from PC to mac, im a windows expert hardware and all so would it be complex to reinstall the OS on the new HD if there is one avalible? Never used OS X but have heard nothin but good things

If you are going to buy a new powerbook, i wouldnt think you would need a 7200 RPM drive. Apple machines are precision engineered, so their parts are designed to work together and perform great because of the optimization. 7200 RPM drives produce a lot of heat, thats why they are not used very often in laptops. I have a 4200 RPM HD in my powerbook and I dont notice a difference between it and my 10000 RPM SCSI drives at work in access time. Upgrading your hard drive by hand would also void your warranty, and mac replacement parts are very hard to come by.

OS X is amazingly easy to install, i believe nowadays with new machines it comes all on one DVD and its a lot less complicated than even the windows installer.

OP
H

hokiethang

HeavyMetalG0d said:
if he needed to edit video, then a 7200 rpm hard drive is best.

but if you are doing lots of video editing, a powerbook probably isnt the best choice.

OP
E

EK03

rhanks hokie, i do alot of video editing but i also have linked windows machines for render farms, ill go with the 5400

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.