iBook to MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
This is a multi-faceted post.

I made the order today.

White 2ghz MacBook w/ 80gig HD, Final Cut Express and a BT Mighty Mouse.

With Taxes and my Education Discount, it came in at just over $1500.

21 months ago, when I bought my iBook, it cost me roughly $1100.

I love my iBook; I know I will be very happy with its successor.

I want to purchase additional ram, I found 2 links, anyone know of better deals, or if these brands are reputable? I know most people reccommend Crucial, but I cant afford their premium price.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4922151#detailed

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820150067

Anyways, I found someone who would purchase my iBook for $800, its been a great computer.

Initially they had some problems with the white MacBooks having some discoloration and over heating issues, yet I assume these have been ironed out by now...

Does anyone currently have a foof sleeve? If so, what do you think of it? I think Im going to order one.

Thats all for now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
Save your money and get the invisible shield scroll down, the macbooks are on there, may as well get the full body cover, its a thin film of clear rubber, get the shield for the iPod tooif you have one....you cant even tell its there and will protect your macbook....unbelievable

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well, part of my order arrived today. I now have a bluetooth mighty mouse. My iBook doesnt have BT, otherwise I would be using it right now...

Reaction score
Hmmm, you'd trust getting RAM from NewEgg, who apparently don't know the difference between a MacBook Pro and a MacPro?

I'm biased, but I would stick with a reputable memory seller who knows Macs, offers a lifetime warranty, and tests and guarantees MacBook compatibility. Oh, and who doesn't charge a restocking charge if you have to send it back.

Data Memory Systems is my favourite US seller. $142 for their top of the line module.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

(obligatory disclaimer - I have no interest, financial or otherwise, whether you purchase from DMS or not)

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
The thought that you had an agenda did cross my mind, but I realize you are just trying to be helpful, thank you. I have been thinking a lot about the fact that I dont want to put 2 gigs of crappy ram in my $1300 computer. I think it would make more sense to spend an extra 20 percent and get a better product. Most say go with crucial or corsair, but the DMS price is a little more attractive. Do you think they are comporable to the aforementioned manufacturers? Thank you.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I went ahead and ordered 2 gigs of the G.Skill from NewEgg. The reviewers seemed like they were very happy. I hope I dont regret it. The Buffalo ram was about $25 more, and the DMS Ram was $40 more. When you are buying 2 gigs, that price adds up. What does everyone think? Ill admit Im nervous about buying the cheaper Ram...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I've been shopping from newegg for about 5 years now. When I recieved a product that was faulty (which is actually rare in my case), I never had a problem replacing or exchanging it.

I'm actually running a pair of G.Skill Extremes in my gaming rig at the moment. The ram runs great. I hope you have the same experience with G.Skill as I did. Good luck!

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Thanks leecho7...

Does anyone care to answer my original questions? Maybe try a couple? Thanks!

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well, my Machine arrived this morning, ahead of schedule. Im using it at the moment, its pretty fast with the standard 512mb RAM. My extra 2gigs from Newegg should be here soon. There are a ton of updates to download. I ordered an 80gig HD and only 57 are available; t has a 74gig capacity drive. I dont really understand how they can do this. I am also confused, when I "Get Info" about certain applications, they are listed as much smaller than I remember. Like Garage Band is only 90mb? That doesnt seem right to me. Any help would be appreciated.

I like the keyboard.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
So, I installed my 2gigs of Ram, its pretty exciting. It seemed pretty fast before, but now its really crazy. Im enjoying myself.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I have a quick question; When I right click programs on my new Mac under applications, certain programs like iDVD or iMovie, that I know are very large, only show up as roughly 40 MB. This doesnt make any sense, the ilife 05' applications of these on my iBook were pretty large. My HD also has roughly 17gigs taken up because of these programs, but its not showing their true size. Anyone know what the deal is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.