Sony DRX820UL-T/Mac OS x 10.2

E

elanvital11

Hello All,

I recently purchased an external DVD burner from Sony Model# DRX820UL-T to use with my Mac OS X 10.2 "Backup" software.

The drive plays dvd's and recognizes discs already written. The problem is with blank discs. Mac OS will not recognize blank DVD's nor CD's. Once after placing a blank CD in I get an alert that my drive is not supported, and then I can't eject.

Using Toast, however, the program recognizes the drive as DRU-820A, and burns properly. Can I only access this drive through this software and not through Mac OS?

I need help here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Download patchburn (www.patchburn.de), follow the instructions and all should be fixed :)

OP
E

elanvital11

Thanks for the reference, ampliphonic.

I ran Patchburn which successfully created a driver for the DVD-RW, but even after a reboot, the neither Backup nor DataBackup recognized the drive.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with my OS? or hardware possibly?

What are my alternatives?
With a blank disk, Disk Utility States:

Total Capacity: 0.00 Bytes
Disk Write Status: Read Only

Should I try a different drive vendor? I fear the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Is the drive recognized by the finder now? Can you use the built in burn features in iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD?

OP
E

elanvital11

Thanks Aptmunich,

Patchburn did in fact work.
It created a new driver for the drive.

The problem turned out to be insufficient hard-disk space. Only had a couple gig's left. It was ironic. I bought the burner to archive important files only to have the files keep Mac OS from recognizing the disk.

Thanks very much for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.