Mac Mini graphics question from a PC man about to jump ship

Reaction score
Time to de-lurk! I've been using PC's for as long as I've had a computer (over ten years now) and am very seriously ready to make a full jump and get a MacbookPro and 1.83 MacMini. I'd go for an Imac but since I already have an Apple Cinema Display monitor, I'd feel as if I were wasting money and throwing away gear. I also love that display and really don't want to retire it. So, that leave a soon-to-be-mac person in my position stuck with two desktop options: the mini or the amazing (but also amazingly expensive) MacPro, which would be overkill.

I love everything I'm reading about the new dual core mini's, save for the issue of there being no graphics choice above the onboard Intel one. I'm not much of a gamer, but photo and video editing will be done quite extensively. Also, I would hate to learn that certain websites don't display to their fullest resolution because of the mini's graphic card limitations. Would that even happen or do I just not know what I'm talking about? I guess my real question is, if I'm browsing graphics-intensive sites and doing photo and video editing, would I be seeing a difference in quality / performance between the mini and another unit with "proper" dedicated graphics?

L

Logan

MontrealMitch said:
I love everything I'm reading about the new dual core mini's, save for the issue of there being no graphics choice above the onboard Intel one. I'm not much of a gamer, but photo and video editing will be done quite extensively. Also, I would hate to learn that certain websites don't display to their fullest resolution because of the mini's graphic card limitations. Would that even happen or do I just not know what I'm talking about? I guess my real question is, if I'm browsing graphics-intensive sites and doing photo and video editing, would I be seeing a difference in quality / performance between the mini and another unit with "proper" dedicated graphics?

If you want super amazing why not hit up the MacPro ? Then you can actually upgrade junk inside the box when you want to.. :) price tag is a lot though..

as far as mac mini onboard vid card:
"but photo and video editing will be done quite extensively."I can bet video editing will have issues, but it is probably a combination of RAM and the slower RPM's on the hard drive, but the video card comes into play when previewing the video at real time while doing modifications. It'll be usable, but you basically are doing video editing on a laptop with a mac mini... your macbookpro would probably be better off at vid editing than a macbook (due to vid card).

Also, I would hate to learn that certain websites don't display to their fullest resolution because of the mini's graphic card limitations. That's highly unlikely. If there's a website out there that requires you to have a super-good video card then there is something wrong with the website!

my real question is, if I'm browsing graphics-intensive sites and doing photo and video editing, would I be seeing a difference in quality / performance between the mini and another unit with "proper" dedicated graphics? web browsing graphical sites isn't going to even use your vid card i bet.. it'll just go to your RAM and view it.. what kills your vid card is video editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.