iBook G4 sound level goes down/up

G

Grippy

I have a G4 iBook I purchased in August 05. While watching DVDs (with DVD Player) using external speakers plugged into the headphone jack, I've noticed that every so often, the sound level decreases, then goes back to normal. I started using USB speakers and noticed the same thing.

Is this maybe an issue with DVD Player? I normally keep sound levels below max, but it seems like maybe it's clipping (there's a scene in "Jarhead" where everybody yells and the sound drops).

I haven't noticed this problem with iTunes or VLC or anything else with sound. Any ideas/solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
try using another dvd program

OP
G

Grippy

Wow. I'm so glad I took the trouble to register and post my question. That was really helpful.

So now that the resident smartass has had his say, would anyone else like to actually, you know, help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I remember on my iBook, the levels would get messed up every so often...

The volume on one channel would drop a fraction... i think mostly the left channel. Check the volume settings under the audio/midi setup utility to see if the value is equal.

If this is a real issue, consider getting an external audio output like griffin's iMic.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You know, that sounds like it's hitting a VERY loud level and some kind of Limiting is backing it down to prevent clipping. I have the same iBook you do but have not done that much DVD watching with it. I have not noticed any level changes, but have not tried a movie with something really loud going on. Will give that a try and see if I notice anything.

OP
G

Grippy

It happened again tonight several times during "Silent Hill," so I used VLC instead of DVD Player. The clipping/level reduction didn't occur.

Looks like the smartass's advice was sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
try lowering your computers output and raising your external speakers levels

do you live in the US?

also, find dvd players plist files etc and just delete them and reopen dvdplayer and see if that helps

also stop being a complete jerk you are acting like a 2 year old
-chris

OP
G

Grippy

coach_z said:
also stop being a complete jerk you are acting like a 2 year old
-chris

I ask a serious question and someone tosses off a smartass reply, and I'm the complete jerk. I see.

In any case, it also happens with my G4 desktop and DVD Player. iMic isn't really a solution because I'm using USB speakers.

Frankly, I'm surprised I can't find anything about this anywhere. Think I'll write to Apple directly.

Reaction score
I have been having the exact same problem. If I pop in my Phil Collins DVD is totally noticeable and extremely annoying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.