USB Adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 700MH, Mac mini 1.66GH core duo, iPod 5G 60Gig
I have an iBook that's getting pretty dated. It has usb 1.1 ports and isn't compatible with some stuff I want to use with it. I'm not using the firewire or ethernet ports so I was looking for an adapter. I found all kinds of adapters to turn a usb port into a firewire or an ethernet, but nothing to go the other way. If anybody knows of anything that could accomplish this it would be appreciated.

OP
trp_m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it would help if I was a bit more specific about what I'm trying to do here. I recently bought a Miglia usb tv tuner to record shows on. My plan was to hook up my old iBook to the TV and have that be a dedicated system just for recordings. Right now I'm recording them on my main computer but It's a bit of a pain to watch them in a window on the corner of the screen while I try to do other things. I also considered converting everything to iPod format and hooking the iPod up to the TV, but, this too, seems a bit cumbersome. If there's any advice I'll take it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You don't actually say what ports you want to add to the iBook (kinda relevant :)), but I assume you mean USB 2.0.
Sell it and buy something with USB 2.0, or get a Firewire TV tuner.

Sorry for being so blunt, but I don't know of any way to add USB 2.0 to an old system except via PCMCIA/Expresscard adapters, or via a PCI card. Your iBook doesn't have any expansion slots, so I don't think there's any other way.

If you keep on recording with your main system you can just minimize the live TV window to the dock... it will keep on running and you can even see a little preview to make sure it's still recording.

OP
trp_m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank for the help. I didn't realize I didn't mention I was going for USB 2.0. I also didn't see any firewire tuners when I was originally looking, the thought of a compatibility problem never crosses my mind until I get something and it doesn't work. I just can't believe nobody makes an adapter, oh well I'll work something out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Elgato (Elgato.com) makes firewire boxes I think... also check out miglia (miglia.com)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.