CUPS nightmare

D

dravenloft

I've got an HP Deskjet 882c. For some reason, the drivers supplied for this by HP don't allow me to share the printer, even though the drivers they supply for WinXP/Linux do. I don't want to put the printer on the PC because since it dual boots that's a bigger config mess.

So I start looking for ways to fix this. Turns out that the drivers i use in Linux have a MacOSX install version. This requires CUPS 1.2.X and Panther comes with 1.1.x So I upgrade CUPS to 1.2.3 from www.cups.org's supplied .dmg

Then the nightmare begins.
First CUPS doesn't work now. It seems that cupsd won't run. keep getting this
dyld: cupsd Undefined symbols: cupsd undefined reference to _sigset expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib Trace/BPT trap
Can't find any reference to this issue. Seems I am the only person in the world who can't get CUPS running on OSX. Well, 1.1.x ran, and could be accessed, and I searching for how to get 1.2.3 working find that the gimp-print drivers that comes with OSX has an update on sourceforge that includes my printer.... it also just requires CUPS w/o concern over what version.

Well, I'm in no mood to fight with 2 things, so I decide I'm going to switch back down to 1.1.x. Take a look at my OSX install discs, find that cups is not its own package. So I search, find that there's this thing called pacifist that can do it. Get and install pacifist, but I've got a new issue.... it's highly unstable.

If I use the apple install option to tell it to start loading all the files from the OSX install disc it dies unexpectedly (seriously, that's the error message). If I open single packages I'm in good shape. I can't find any referecnes to printing that aren't obviously the various ppd files for misc brands, so I try to check out baseinstall and BSD.... baseinstall it says is empty, and BSD gives an error abou a BOM file missing and then pacifist crashes. I just want to reinstall cups. or get 1.2.3 working. I don't care one bit which. I don't REALLY feel like waiting for a reinstall to complete.... I just got it set up right after one of those (well.... except printing).

PLEASE HELP! I'm going mad here.

PS... could someone who happens to know where on a trayload CRT G3 iMac the 2nd RAM slot is please email me dravenloft at gmail.com? I can find the first slot, and the video ram slot.... but ... uh.... the only instructions I can find online are a little fuzzy on where I'm supposed to look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.