• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Strange Web Site Behavior

S

starfox25

So I made a web site threw yahoo small business, when I try to go to the site in safari if I type in the address www.foximageworks.net I get a cannot connect to server error. If I type in the address http://foximageworks.net
(no www.) the site comes up. I got out my pc laptop and when I type the address www.foximageworks.net it opens fine (strange) this tells me its some configuration issue on my mac. any Ideas

Reaction score
Interesting, I was told by my ISP not to type the www. to access my website on the free 20gb webspace they provide.

I just tried to access it again this time adding the www. and safari was able to find it....

Other than that I don't know the answer to it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
All 3 links work fine here

have you tried hitting refresh on the link that is giving you problems

OP
S

starfox25

trpnmonkey41 said:
All 3 links work fine here

have you tried hitting refresh on the link that is giving you problems

When I dont use the www and the site comes up, I'll hit a link and it will try to take me to the linked page but I get a cannot connect error because "www" is getting added to the web address. I called yahoo because on my web controll pannel (yahoo) I have 2 domains listed. 1. www.foximageworks.net
2. foximageworks.net (no www) I have no way of accessing the online folder for the first and they said anyone that uses yahoo web service sees this in there controll pannel. and he has never heard of this problem before

A little info on my machine and connection.
Power mac g5 dual 2.0
OSX 10.4.7
And I have a evdo wireless conection threw sprint. I use the sprint pci card in a kyrocera k1 router

Again I have no problems on my pc (its on the same network)

Strange..... The yahoo guy said it might be a firewall or antivirus thing.But I dont have a antivirus installed

Reaction score
Have you tried another web browser....?

Can you upload new stuff to you site through the website creator app you use?

Do you use an FTP?

OP
S

starfox25

Pulse-8 said:
Have you tried another web browser....?

Can you upload new stuff to you site through the website creator app you use?

Do you use an FTP?

Firefox and Opera. Same thing.

I'm using dreamweaver but not thier FTP I'm still torn weather to use DW's FTP or just keep uploading using fetch.

I used the network utility to ping the site with www in the address and nothing, but when I remove www 10 packets sent 10 received

strange

Reaction score
It may be easier just to always just type this:

foximageworks.net

regardless of what mac you're using at the time.

The above URL should work on both the desktop and the laptop....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.