Photoshop Guru(s), I need your help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I took photo with my camera without using RAW format. When I uploaded the photo to my mac, it is in jpeg format. I open the jpeg file in photoshop, now I want to resize it. Here's the problem, the photo is 42"x27" with a res of 72. I want to resize the photo to 6"x4", but with a res of 72 makes the photo pixelated.
Is there anyway to fix this problem? plug-in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You shouldn't need a plug in. Open your photo, go to Image->Image Size and uncheck the "Resample Image" checkbox. Now you can manually adjust the Resolution. As you do this, you will see the image dimensions change - do this until you get the size you want. This does not actually do anything to the image itself, it just changes the resolution, which will change the size when you send it to a printer.

OP
Maul
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
mac57 said:
You shouldn't need a plug in. Open your photo, go to Image->Image Size and uncheck the "Resample Image" checkbox. Now you can manually adjust the Resolution. As you do this, you will see the image dimensions change - do this until you get the size you want. This does not actually do anything to the image itself, it just changes the resolution, which will change the size when you send it to a printer.

This worked out perfectly.
Many Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Maul said:
I took photo with my camera without using RAW format. When I uploaded the photo to my mac, it is in jpeg format. I open the jpeg file in photoshop, now I want to resize it. Here's the problem, the photo is 42"x27" with a res of 72. I want to resize the photo to 6"x4", but with a res of 72 makes the photo pixelated.
Is there anyway to fix this problem? plug-in?

If you took an image in RAW format, it should be on your computer as a RAW image and not as a JPEG unless you were taking shots in RAW+JPEG. You may want to check your settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am guessing Maul was using Raw+JPEG and the Mac, only recognizing the JPEG, uploaded that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I must not understand how he is downloading them. I do use a nikon software to download the images using a card reader, however it downloads all of the files. If I do go another route I simply use the card reader and a finder window to move the files or copy them to a folder.

OP
Maul
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I didn't actually download the files, I used a card reader and transfered the files in the finder from card to the mac. But the deal was I had the camera settings to a high res and not RAW, which created the files into jpeg. I use a canon rebel xt if that explains it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Maul said:
I didn't actually download the files, I used a card reader and transfered the files in the finder from card to the mac. But the deal was I had the camera settings to a high res and not RAW, which created the files into jpeg. I use a canon rebel xt if that explains it.

I don't know why people are suggesting solutions for RAW format, since you said you didn't use RAW.

Anyway, what mac57 said is right. Familiarise yourself with that window, as it will be one of your greatest friends in photoshop. If I'm ever printing photos, first thing I do is set the resolution to 300ppi (without altering pixel dimensions) to make sure everything is the correct res and correct size. I always save them as copies too so I have the original intact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because I misread the original post

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.