G3 Upgrade to G4?

C

ChineseElite

Alright.

I have a friend who has a Powermac G3 and is rather sick of it's speed to be frank. My question to you is,
a) Can a Powermac G3 be upgraded to a G4?
b) Who would sell the parts/hardware neccessary to complete the upgrade?

Please excuse my ignorance if it is apperant that this is an extremely basic question, however I prefer to own computers where the hardware and software are not controlled by one entity ;-)

OP
W

Wapa18

i'm pretty sure that there are G4 processor upgrade cards for power mac G3's. i know for sure that Sonnet Technologies makes them. i dunno about prices though, as i've never had need of one. hope this helps :D

OP
C

ChineseElite

Alright, thanks.

Now, let's say we can upgrade it. Do any of you have firsthand knowladge, or at least and opinoin, as to whether or not it is as good as a 'real' G4, what are the preformance advantages (using Photoshop7/Illustrator 10 mainly)? Thanks.

OP
C

CaptainMack

heres a company that can do what you are looking for.
www.newertech.com
im not sure that they can do exactly what you want but brouse the site im sure they have all the info you need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.