why is my signal so low?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
well, yesterday i had the lovely experience of moving, again. Well, after the cable guy came and set everything up of course the cable modem didnt work (even though all lights on it prooved otherwise). Well, i was using the exact same setup back at my other place without any problems, but now the internet today has just started working.

I tried to connect to my "linksys" router, and got nothing.. even when typing in my password. Well, this morning I pressed the "reset" button on the back of the router and low and behold.. it seems to work now (let me connect with my password, etc..)

Well, the only thing I notice now is that my signal on my airport is only at 3 bars. instead of 4. Even when sitting right next to the router.

Why is this? am i somehow connected to someone elses router here in these apartments? but how could that be if my password logged me in.

Basically, why am I getting a weak signal? Pages seem to load fine and pretty fast, but I know this is going to be affecting my somehow.

any help would be great, thank you

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
this is my signal, and I dont like it.

Picture1-2.png

S

sursuciofla

Call cable company so they can see about boosting the cable signal. Rename your router then see if any other linksys networks show up. You can do that from network setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I have that same problem with my D-Link router, I'll be two rooms away in my living room and the signal will occasionally (and randomly) drop to one bar, keeping my internet from working at all. It's quite annoying indeed. Hope you find a solution cause I could use one too :p

S

sursuciofla

sursuciofla said:
Call cable company so they can see about boosting the cable signal. Rename your router then see if any other linksys networks show up. You can do that from network setup.

You can also unplug everything including phone line and leave it off for about 5 minutes. Then plug in phone line, turn on modem and then plug back in the router. Sometimes the signal will come in stronger then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.