Webcams: iSight any good ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
I am thinking of buying a webcam for my powermac G5, but i was wondering is the iSight any good, and are there any better alternatives out there for the same money or less ?

How good is the actual quality of video on the iSight ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I love mine. Works like a charm and the quality is the best of any webcam I have seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't think there is a camera with better video quality than the iSight out. I use it while I am at school with my family and can do full screen conferences at 25-30fps.

It's not as high quality as apple shows in their keynotes and such but its still **** good

Of course quality depends heavily on the internet connection you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The way apple advertises it is video chat on a lan, not over the internet, which makes it look really good quality.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iSight is the best looking camera of it's type out there. Any quality issues over the internet are due to the connection. The iSight itself is first rate. I agree with PBG4 on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The iSight is a pretty good camera, but I find that its performance in low light is not very good relative to other webcams. Happily, I have also found a solution. There is a shareware program called (what else?!) iGlasses that helps your iSight! Gotta luv the nomenclature! :)

iGlasses is basically a preferences panel for the iSight. With it, you can all sorts of things, but the most useful I have found is that you can turn up the gain on the camera, thus achieving dramatically better performance in low light.

In general, I would recommend the iSight, but get iGlasses as well. Well worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
iSight is amazing, but overpriced. If you want the best, I don't think you can do much better. However, I'm sure you could find something comparable for much less if money is a factor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.