Safari Tabbed Browsing Question

R

RMG

I just got a new iMac yesterday, and this is my first experience with the Safari browser. I was using Firefox on my PC, so I'm used to tabbed browsing, but there's one problem (just an annoyance, really) that I haven't figured out yet - is there a way to keep the selected tab on top? Safari jumps to a different tab if any of the content changes on that page. If I've got several sites open (autosurf sites especially), Safari is constantly switching tabs on its own. Is there any way to keep it from doing that? Or would I be better off just installing FireFox? Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Can you give an example of sites that do this? I've been using Safari on a number of sites that update content automatically and have yet to see Safari switch tabs on me without expressly telling it to do so (aside from when clicking links in Mail, which opens a NEW tab and selects it, but that's still a user-driven event.)

OP
R

RMG

The problem is specifically with autosurf sites that rotate to a new site every 15 or 20 seconds. As soon as the new site is loaded the browser switches to that tab. I want to be able to run those sites in the background, so it's annoying when the tabs keep switching. I just downloaded FireFox for Mac and it works much better for me, so I'm probably just going to use that. Are there any particular features in Safari that I might be missing out on by using FireFox? I like Safari so far but it looks like FireFox might be a better option for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Preferences>Tabs, Uncheck, Select new tabs as they are created.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
IronMac said:
Preferences>Tabs, Uncheck, Select new tabs as they are created.

That should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
you could just download firefox for mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I'm not sure why you would suggest getting Firefox when the issue can be solved in Safari.

Reaction score
That unchecking of the box: select new tabs as they are created, can be annoying until you sort it out in Prefs. I know it took me a few months until I got sick enough of the new tab coming to the forefront, to dig around to see if I could do something about it. I was pleased to find there is a choice....

I find it beneficial to have a 2nd browser installed, and it has come in handy more than once....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Snow. 500 MHz DV Special Edition OS X.3.9 640 RAM 130GB
i wish there was a "force new window to open in a tab" option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.