Installing OSX on a new HD

N

nysaz

just got a new macbook today, was installing a new hd drive.. 160 sata.. putting in was no problem, after i started my macbook, the light just started flashing, nothing is coming on the screen.. i was able to insert my osx cd.. but nothing on the disc is booting ... i have already tired holding down C and booting.. no luck.. am i suppose to format the hd before inserting it .. if so.. how ??.. any ideas..
thanks in advance

Reaction score
It's most likely that the jumper settings are not correct. Try fiddling around with them.

OP
N

nysaz

jumer setting??

i didn't see any jumper setting or any jumpers that it came with?

OP
F

Flash Fire

Hmmm. I'm planning on the same thing in a week or two, putting in a new HD I mean. Hopefully it won't be a problem. :-/

Reaction score
nysaz said:
jumer setting??

i didn't see any jumper setting or any jumpers that it came with?
Yes sorry, correct. SATA drives don't need jumper settings. My mistake.

What make and type of harddrive is it ?

OP
N

nysaz

Mr Bobbins said:
Yes sorry, correct. SATA drives don't need jumper settings. My mistake.

What make and type of harddrive is it ?

ist is a hitachi travelstar sata 160gb 5400 rpm

would i need to format it bbefore hand or anything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If the light is blinking rapidly, it means that the RAM is not seated correctly and isn't being detected.

I'd check that first.

Try holding down 'D' to boot the hardware test portion of the first install DVD. If that works, it should show you if the RAM is being correctly detected.

OP
N

nysaz

i think you were right..
so i fixed the ram.. works well
but when i turn on the pc..
regardless if i hold d or c ..
nothing comes up on the pc..
just a blank screen.. but the light is not flashing..
is there somehting i would need to do to the hard drive before hand..
thanks again

Reaction score
Usually after installing a new harddrive you boot up from the CD, format the harddrive and install the system. No pre-formatting is needed so long as the harddrive is new and hasn't been used in any other computer and even then I don't think it matters.

It's strange that the c button doesn't work. Is it possible that the wire to the CD player has been pulled slightly out ? Can you hear the CD spinning ?

Is your OSX install disk original and unscratched ? try giving it a clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
This is a day-old Macbook and you're having RAM and install problems? I'd take that sucker back if I were you.

OP
N

nysaz

Mr Bobbins said:
Usually after installing a new harddrive you boot up from the CD, format the harddrive and install the system. No pre-formatting is needed so long as the harddrive is new and hasn't been used in any other computer and even then I don't think it matters.

It's strange that the c button doesn't work. Is it possible that the wire to the CD player has been pulled slightly out ? Can you hear the CD spinning ?

Is your OSX install disk original and unscratched ? try giving it a clean.

cd/dvd works when i pop the old drive in.. the one that came with the macbook.. but when i use the new one.. no luck...
cd does spin i hear that.. cd is orginal .. no scratches.. new cd...
could it be a bad hard drive.. i got it from new egg??

no issues with the ram now.. no flashing light.. but just so frustrated that i cant get the hd to work

Reaction score
If it's nothing else then I'd say it's the Hard drive too. SATA drives are supposed to be easy to install. :eek:neye: Have you got another system that you can test the harddrive on ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, but the system should boot the CD/DVD regardless of whether there's a harddrive present or not.

OS X doesn't require an internal harddrive to be present to boot off a CD/DVD with a boot volume. Try holding down the option/alt key just after the chime instead. (with the DVD inserted)

This should bring up a picture of a disc. Select it and see if it will boot that way.

OP
N

nysaz

It Worked!!

THANK you guys...
its worked.. after a long night that became the morning.. i am happy to report that it is working and great..

apprently the i feel that i might not have fully ground the metal casing so it was being read.. but after redoing it- i was able to get the boot screen, after that..
i just read thru.. had to format the hd using disk utlity and than i was able to install..
so currently i am typing on my macbook 2.0gz with 2 gb ram and 160gb hard drive..

YOU GUYS RULE!!

:black: :black: :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.