locating installed print driver on mac?

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I've been very frustrated with trying find the new installed print driver for my HP Laserjet 5si mx. The current PPD File version fot this printer that's building into OS Tiger is 5.4.2.012, but HP just released a newer version allowing the printer to operate appropriately.

When I installed the driver, it was an "easy install" and did not specify where exactly the driver was install on my mac. So when I tried to find driver for my laser printer I could not find it.

I remember there was a place I can go see all the printer drivers that come with os tiger, but I don't remember how to get there. Does anyone now hot to locate the print drivers on the mac? and once I installed a printer driver, where did it go on my mac?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Tommy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the OS X install discs/DVD's have all the drivers on them....

Reaction score
Click on the harddrive image on your desktop then go into 'Library' and then 'printers'. This is the Library for the hole computer unlike the users library that will come up if you click on your home folder in the side bar.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thanks for replying. I looked in both library locations but did not locate the driver. Mac OS Tiger does come with a driver for HP LaserJet 5si mx, but when I used it, the printer does not work properly.

HP offered a new driver in April 2006,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-39729-1

This driver is currently the newest one, I installed it, but it did not come up anywhere when I tried to add the printer again. So I am just really frustrated by it. If you have anymore comment or suggestions, I would really appreciate them!!

Thanks again

Reaction score
When you opened printer setup did you have the printer turned on and connected ?

Also if it didn't come up, did you try clicking the 'More printers' tab at the bottom and having a look for it their ?

Reaction score
i am having the same problem expcept mine is over a network. the printer is a canon mp500. i have the most recent driver downloaded form canons websoite but when i go to add prinnter --IP printring --type in 10.1.192.176...queue name LPT1--then when i got to select the printer type(the bottom bar) the Mp500 is not there. if select printer type BJ-30 it prints but is 1/3 of the correct doc. size or i could pick ip3000 and itll print all faded.

this printer is setup via ethernet through my netgear PS121 printer server box, which for the record prints every PC i set up on it fine, but whe it comes to the macs on mac os x.4.5/7 (whicheve the more recent is) it doenst work.

any ideas what to do?

Reaction score
no because my PCs print fine.
the macs print but not correctly
it is a driver issue.

OP
T
Reaction score
I am comforted to hear that someone has the same trouble with finding the driver. I look in the library located in the hard drive, there is still not a list of drivers as shown in the printer set up menu. But it's got to be somwhere on the computer. mmm where is it?

Reaction score
My network consists of a PC and iMac connected by Ethernet via a router.

I tried everything to set up my network printer and all the problems I had came from trying to print a document on the iMac using a Printer connected to my PC...

In the end I successfully set up a network printer but only when I changed the printer from being connected to the PC, over to the Mac.

Only then was I able to print over the network...

I haven't a clue why it only worked this way....and I followed all the printing help files on the iMac and the web...

But these are the links I followed:

http://www.mac-connect.com/direct_printing.php

http://www.mac-connect.com/printer_sharing_win.php

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I finally found where all the printer drivers are located in the mac.

the path is:

HD/library/printers/PPDs/content/resources/en.oproj/

then you will see all the print drivers. But I still did not find the one that I installed. odd thing...

Reaction score
Thanks for posting your find, tomaschinito.

It will help a future poster who can't find the printer drivers location on their mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.