ordering mac pro today. one quick question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Eew... Western Digital...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Kulokoy said:
hhmmmnnn........No.

hmhmhmnnn .... Yes

The mac pro uses SATA drive interface, and so is the drive you want to buy. This will work, but If you plan on keeping your computer for a long time, I might suggest that you buy a slightly bigger drive. With the way the media world is going soon enough 120gb drive is going to be like nothing.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
ok thx guys I ordered my mac pro. My final question is I need to get a copy of windows xp. Do I have to buy the retail version or can I use the OEM version that does not come with the user manual and box?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Eew... Buying Microsoft products... I cringe every time I have to by Windows or Office at work... I just hate that feeling... I really do...

Anyways, the only difference between retail and OEM is the support. Retail I believe you get a couple incidents with Microsoft "technical support," which sucks majorly by the way. The OEM version is supposed to be sold with a new PC and is supported by the "OEM," which means you can't call Microsoft support. That said, save your money, get the OEM version, and don't worry about Microsoft support because it's sorry as a warm bucket of urine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
AMD 64 FX-55 @2.86GHz/2GB DDR534/300GB/160GB/nVidia 7800GT
AMD 64 ML-28/1GB DDR400/40GB/ATi X200
PowerMac G3 B&W 300/1GB/20GB/ATi 7000
PowerMac G4 DA 466/768MB/30GB/ATi Rage 128
PowerMac G4 MDD 867/1GB/160GB/ATi 9800
what's next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
what's next?

Well, I wanted a cheap Apple so I started with the G3 but that didn't work (and still doesn't; it's getting my royal hammer treatment tonight) so I bought a G4 around the same time because it was local so I picked it up. The audio didn't work and I couldn't get it to do anything, so I bought a Creative Live! for Mac and found it only supported OS9 and earlier (son of a bee-sting!!!). My only reason for getting a Mac was to run OSX so this defeats the purpose, and I wasn't going to spend $50-100 on a M-audio sound card that would work with OSX. When I was pondering what to do, I saw a barebone G4 MDD system on eBay that was local and sniped it at $220ish. That same day I took it to work with me, put it on the workbench, installed my G4 DA's video card, found some DDR I had lying around, hooked up my new 160GB Seagate, and tested it and all was well. That is my latest project and I've got plenty of parts coming in for it. I'm going to load it up with 1GB DDR, ATi Radeon 9800Pro, and DVD burner. Then I found a KVM switch so I can switch back and forth from my PC and new G4 MDD. That is the plan anyways; I may encounter a good deal on a G5 along the way... :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SuB8HaVeN said:
Eew... Buying Microsoft products... I cringe every time I have to by Windows or Office at work... I just hate that feeling... I really do...

Anyways, the only difference between retail and OEM is the support. Retail I believe you get a couple incidents with Microsoft "technical support," which sucks majorly by the way. The OEM version is supposed to be sold with a new PC and is supported by the "OEM," which means you can't call Microsoft support. That said, save your money, get the OEM version, and don't worry about Microsoft support because it's sorry as a warm bucket of urine...

lol I kind of fell that way to, but I need windows for a few apps.

thanks for clearing that up for me, i'll go for the OEM version.

Would it be better to be with pro or home? whitch one is faster?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
XP Pro and Home are identical except for the XP Professional has a few extra networking features. I think the only main difference is that XP Pro computers can be set up on a domain whereas XP Home computers can't. I believe XP Home only supports 1 CPU as well; XP Pro supports 2. Here is a link with comparisons on features between Home and Pro:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats the thing home only supports 1 processor. If I were to run a program in windows that could use all 4 cores would xp home edition limit it to one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
mr_g5, you are going to have to change your forum ID now! Whats next, mr_macpro? :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac57 said:
mr_g5, you are going to have to change your forum ID now! Whats next, mr_macpro? :)
lol yeah, maybe I should change it to mr woodcrest

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Yes, I would go XP Pro for the Mac Pro.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok i just bought windows xp Pro sp2. Its the OEM version but I dont think ms would help me with bootcamp anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
SuB8HaVeN said:
Well, I wanted a cheap Apple so I started with the G3 but that didn't work (and still doesn't; it's getting my royal hammer treatment tonight) so I bought a G4 around the same time because it was local so I picked it up. The audio didn't work and I couldn't get it to do anything, so I bought a Creative Live! for Mac and found it only supported OS9 and earlier (son of a bee-sting!!!). My only reason for getting a Mac was to run OSX so this defeats the purpose, and I wasn't going to spend $50-100 on a M-audio sound card that would work with OSX. When I was pondering what to do, I saw a barebone G4 MDD system on eBay that was local and sniped it at $220ish. That same day I took it to work with me, put it on the workbench, installed my G4 DA's video card, found some DDR I had lying around, hooked up my new 160GB Seagate, and tested it and all was well. That is my latest project and I've got plenty of parts coming in for it. I'm going to load it up with 1GB DDR, ATi Radeon 9800Pro, and DVD burner. Then I found a KVM switch so I can switch back and forth from my PC and new G4 MDD. That is the plan anyways; I may encounter a good deal on a G5 along the way... :)

i think you're on the right path. the path to G5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.