Gimped MacBook

M

msobell

A month or two ago my friend bought a brand new MacBook, 2.0 GHz white, 13.3", etc. She was watching a movie and spilt water all over it. It turned off and didn't turn back on again, etc etc we all know how computers and water mix. We're at college now and she needed a new one right away, so she bought one and gave me her old one to play with. I took it apart and cleaned off contacts, fiddled, let it dry, etc. I got it to the point where, running on battery power, it works perfectly except for: the keyboard and mouse don't work (I plugged in externals), when I tell it to "Shut Down," it restarts. Same when I push the power button, or hold it for 4+ seconds. It "Sleeps" correctly. Now, the battery was running low so I plugged in the charger. It was green for a second, then turned orange and started whistling and drained the battery completely. It no longer boots. RIP my free MacBook.

I thought the whistling was due to a short b/w the speakers and the charging mechanism? Now it doesn't respond to the charger and the battery is completely drained so it can't boot anymore. Any ideas? External charger? Anyone want to buy it? Have experience fixing stuff like this? Want to drop it off a building? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac Core 2 Duo
msobell said:
A month or two ago my friend bought a brand new MacBook, 2.0 GHz white, 13.3", etc. She was watching a movie and spilt water all over it. It turned off and didn't turn back on again, etc etc we all know how computers and water mix. We're at college now and she needed a new one right away, so she bought one and gave me her old one to play with. I took it apart and cleaned off contacts, fiddled, let it dry, etc. I got it to the point where, running on battery power, it works perfectly except for: the keyboard and mouse don't work (I plugged in externals), when I tell it to "Shut Down," it restarts. Same when I push the power button, or hold it for 4+ seconds. It "Sleeps" correctly. Now, the battery was running low so I plugged in the charger. It was green for a second, then turned orange and started whistling and drained the battery completely. It no longer boots. RIP my free MacBook.

I thought the whistling was due to a short b/w the speakers and the charging mechanism? Now it doesn't respond to the charger and the battery is completely drained so it can't boot anymore. Any ideas? External charger? Anyone want to buy it? Have experience fixing stuff like this? Want to drop it off a building? Thanks.

i'll give you 5 bucks for it...

OP
F

Flash Fire

Well, as I'm moneyless I can't offer anything for it... but I guess I could always promise that if received, I would drop it off a building for you. However, I would throw in a professionally edited movie of the entire process along with good special effects and... stuff like that. Heh. :D

Reaction score
Give it to me, and I GUARANTEE you I will smash the bugger to pieces with a HUGE HAMMER! In fact, I have done that before, to an innocent camcorder, for my 3D Creation class for my final project. I still have the tape and share it with my friends sometimes. To tell the truth...it felt mightly good the moment the hammer made contact with the camcorder. And then the second, thirt.... blows until the helpless thing was completely destroyed. That was thrilling, especially when you do it in front of a crewed pulic area. BTW, don't imitate me, because for that, I almost got myself arrested:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM
agreed with wakerider, ebay is your best bet. opens up more oppurtunities to more outsiders. i'm sure u can get more than just 100 bucks. xD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.