• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express Beginner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Hi everyone. I have been using iMovie since I purchased my iBook in December of 2004. Over the last 6 months, I have developed an interest in making short films in different styles. I feel that I have reached limitations on this computer, as well as with iMovie.

My iBook specs are listed in my profile.

I have decided that Final Cut Express, at $149 for students, is the most logical step for me to advance my skills in video, and the quality of my work. I feel that I will be able to teach myself this program in a short time.

I want a computer with a DVD Burner, and with a higher resolution for more screen space for editing. I also want something with a faster Processor.

I really like having a portable computer, and a MacBook Pro is out of my price range at the moment...

I have decided to get a 2.0ghz MacBook with 2gigs of Ram. I know that the video card is intergrated, and isnt as good as the ATI X1600 in the MBP. But, the intergrated 64mb Intel graphics are much better than my ATI 32mb 9200 in my iBook, right?

I already own a 300gig External 7200rpm HD, so internal HD qualifications dont effect me as much.

For those of you experienced with Final Cut Express, would the MacBook I am considering purchasing be adequate for the tasks I want to accomplish with it? Should I save for another couple of months and get a MBP? Its hard to justify the additional $500 for the MBP...

I am open to suggestions, I would like to spend time discussing this with as many as possible, as I can only mull things over in my mind so much.

Im looking at roughy $1500 for the MacBook, Final Cut Express, Wireless Mighty Mouse and Taxes.

Thank you in advance, please help.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
It seems that no one has an opnion or any knowledge on this matter.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
This is sweet, I have my own thread to say whatever I want...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yes it will work, for what you would want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.