• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Finder shortcut keys..

T

todd51

Ok you really know your talking to an inexperienced mac user becuase I don't know what buttons to hit for the symbols on some of the Finder functions.

For example:

Emptying the trash I always have to click on Finder, Empty Trash, but I would like to just be able to hit the shortcut key. I know what the command symbol is...but what is the big arrow pointing up and the sideways arrow with the "X" in it? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The Apple key = Command
The odd looking "X" = Option
Big Up arrow = Shift

To throw something away, select it and hit Command+Delete.
The empty the trash hit, Command+Shift+Delete.
To go up in the folder hierarchy, hit Command+Up arrow. (same for down)
To go Back in Finder, hit Command+[
To open a folder, hit Command+O
To make a new folder, Command+Shift+N
To open a new window, Command+N
To go to your apps folder, Command+Shift+A
To go to your Utilities folder, Command+Shift+U
To go to your Network, Command+Shift+K

Those are all I can think of that I use often...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz Intel Dual Core 13" Macbook, 2gb RAM, 80GB HD, Smartdisk, etc.; 30gb iPod Video
Don't forget Command+Option+Escape ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.