Many of my recent downloads/apps gone!

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 17" powerbook and I spent much of the day yesterday researching must have app's and such. I also had put on a few music albums(from cd's :) )

Last night I turned the computer off, and this morning when I turned it on, most of everything was gone!

It seemed that all/most of the powerbook settings were reset. Ie: My mouse was slower(diff rate etc), my background was default, and I was missing a few of my personal folders that were on the desktop. :(

Anybody have any idea on what I can do? Tia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
you probably logged in as a different user....go to apple menu....log out user, and then see if you can log in as "you"

OP
C
Reaction score
There is only one account so that can't be it. I double checked and it wasn't it.

This is very weird! Is there a "proper" way to install programs? Perhaps that's where I went wrong.

1hot5.0

You may have been running the application(s) that you installed off of the disk image they were mounted on when you downloaded them. When you shut off the computer, the disk image was un-mounted, therefore the installed application was gone.

Look for the file you downloaded (or re-download it). When you open the disk image, drag the icon to the applications folder, and make an alias to it from the applications folder.

This should solve your problem.

Any questions, just ask...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.