help with file sharing on windows network

Reaction score
Hiya

can someone please help me! i have an apple ibook running on os x 10.1 and i need to share files between windows xp computers. i have managed to get the internet working on the ibook easily just by plugging it in, it found the shared internet connection on the main pc.
i need to transfer files from my xp laptop to the mac. how do i do this?

i have tried a few things from websites but nothing has worked yet

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

ryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
djrm said:
Hiya

can someone please help me! i have an apple ibook running on os x 10.1 and i need to share files between windows xp computers. i have managed to get the internet working on the ibook easily just by plugging it in, it found the shared internet connection on the main pc.
i need to transfer files from my xp laptop to the mac. how do i do this?

i have tried a few things from websites but nothing has worked yet

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

ryan

well im newish to the mac.. and i connected to my windows machines easily.. easier than i thought it would be

make sure the share is available on the win pc. then on my mac i clicked on the hard drive icon to open that window up.. then clicked on network.. then workgroup, then the win pc showed up, clicked on that then it asks what share i want to connect to (of the ones it can see) then their mounted as virtual drive on the desktop

theirs probably a quicker way im sure some mac oldie will tell you but what i described will work

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i couldnt believe how well it worked.. apple have worked hard to make it very simple, even worked well with our corporate network picking up all the domains and pc's

OP
D
Reaction score
andy_st200 said:
i couldnt believe how well it worked.. apple have worked hard to make it very simple, even worked well with our corporate network picking up all the domains and pc's

ahh thanks guys

the thing is i opened the finder then went to network etc but it searches and doesnt find anything!! any idea why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how are the pc's connected, are you using cross over cables.. or a hub/router..

OP
D
Reaction score
andy_st200 said:
how are the pc's connected, are you using cross over cables.. or a hub/router..

right i have a pc downstairs that the usb modem plugs into, the internet is shared and so is the harddrive. i then have a crossover cable from a lan card in that pc going to a wired hub. this is where the other pcs and mac are connected to, i also have a wireless access point connected to the hub but that wont mean anything.

do i need to change some network settings on the ibook? all of the drives which i need to connect to on the pcs are shared and so is the printer.

OP
D
Reaction score
its ok!!! ive sorted it! i typed in smb:// then the pc name and drive letter followed by $ and it worked! that was on a win 2k pc though, will it be the same on xp? i am at work and cant check on a xp machine right now lol

OP
D
Reaction score
ok its not solved...i have a problem, it appears that using smb to connect to a pc only works on a win2k machine, xp does not wanna know

how do i do this? i am really confused now as everyone else is saying its easy!!!

OP
D
Reaction score
lol ive sorted it now again haha

usin an ftp client on the xp pc to copy everything to the mac :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.