switch or stay

R

Roman

I represent a small web design company. We are considering making “the switch” when Leopard is released. It looks like I am the only employee against it. I hold no bias towards Windows, I just fail to see what a mac can offer that a Windows based pc can not (in terms of productivity for our company work). Can anyone show me a benefit? I don’t want to hear anything about viruses, etc or crashing, etc – We have never had a problem with either of these on Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If what you have works and you haven't had a problem with your current setup, then there is no reason to switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I don’t want to hear anything about viruses, etc or crashing, etc – We have never had a problem with either of these on Windows.

You've been lucky. Just because you haven't been hit by a virus yet, doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow. I work for a large company and we have our own security team and were still hit by the slammer virus years ago. It brought our services to a crawl.

If you are able to switch to something that doesn't have viruses, i.e., Unix, Mac, etc, and still do everything you can do with a PC, DO IT.

tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mac747 said:
You've been lucky. Just because you haven't been hit by a virus yet, doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow.
The same thing could be said for a Mac.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
"don't fix it if ain't broke." however, your co-worker is thinking smart ahead.

OP
R

Roman

Kulokoy said:
your co-worker is thinking smart ahead.

They were educated on macs and harbour prejudice. They are unable to justify switching, no tangible benefits to mention. Instead the describe the ‘feel’ of it and ‘smoothness’ etc. macs are beautiful, no doubt about it. But it appears that is all it has going for it. Why do you think they are thinking smart?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
OS X also has some other productivity benefits - better search and file management features thanks to spotlight, easier installation of apps and hardware, the installation doesn't get bogged down as quickly over time etc. etc...

Plus they are competitively priced and also run windows, so I don't see what there is to say against switching really...

OP
C

CWMac

OS X also has some other productivity benefits - better search and file management features thanks to spotlight, easier installation of apps and hardware, the installation doesn't get bogged down as quickly over time etc. etc...

Plus they are competitively priced and also run windows, so I don't see what there is to say against switching really...

Cost. New machines cost money :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If Windows is working for you, there's no reason what-so-ever to switch.

Plus, the cost is a huge factor.

I work in a marketing department doing graphic design work (supposedly the Mac's forte), but we use Windows XP Pro. Sure, I absolutely hate every minute I'm on this machine, but my department head can't justify the cost of getting us set up with PowerMacs. Especially when everything is working fine (just slower).

Stick with what you've got.

Reaction score
I agree. You should stick with what you have. Although the chance of a virus is still there, if you know what you're doing, you will rarely have a problem with viruses or crashing. The main reason people get into problems on PCs is lack of knowledge about what they're doing. I have an iBook, but I use Windows a lot more often, and I have never had any problems with it crashing. My iBook, however, I've had to re-format it once already, and I've only had it since the end of April.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
CWMac said:
Cost. New machines cost money :p

Oh yeah, I thought it was between new macs OR new PC's...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Most of the benefit of going to Mac is what you would consider "soft stuff" vs. hard savings. I would classify most of it under the heading of Productivity. It is little stuff, but lots of it.

Lets take an example. How many times have you encountered this problem? You are working on a file and you decide to save it to a new directory or a different disk altogether. No worries, right? Just use the trusty old "Save As" dialog and navigate your way to the new directory. BUT, that takes time, doesn't it? And that little Save As window can be tough to use for any extensive hunting for your destination. Now lets consider that same task the Mac OS X way. We start the same way, and the trusty old "Save As" dialog comes up. But instead of painfully navigating to my new destination folder (lets assume it is called "foobar"), I just click in the Spotlight entry area at the top of the dialog and start to type "foobar" - after just a few letters, Mac OS X has identified the "foobar" folder and taken the Save As dialog there. Job done! You just saved several minutes of pointing and clicking and scrolling... and lots of aggravation. This has to be my personal favorite features of Mac OS X.

Consider this sort of elegance spread over just about every feature you use daily and you have some idea of what a Mac can bring to you that a PC cannot.

Lets add to the list. Leapard is going to bring another big enhancement (IMHO), multiple desktops, called Spaces by Apple. If you have ever used unix or Linux, you will know that this productivity enhancer has been a staple for years. Multiple desktops help you control the clutter of multiple open windows. I use it for example to keep all my Web stuff in one desktop, all my email stuff in another, all my file management type work in another and so on. No more switching around trying to find a window you were working on before you got interrupted and had to check a web page... now where did my email client window go again? No more - just click back to your email space and there it is.

Like I said, small stuff, but LOTS of it. In two words, what a Mac will bring you that a PC won't is "enhanced productivity".

...and by the way, lets not forget the sleek good looks, the fact that Mac OS X boots in about 30s, the complete stability and freedom from the need for intrusive tools like Norton <just about anything they make> and so on.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Roman said:
I represent a small web design company. We are considering making “the switch” when Leopard is released. It looks like I am the only employee against it. I hold no bias towards Windows, I just fail to see what a mac can offer that a Windows based pc can not (in terms of productivity for our company work). Can anyone show me a benefit? I don’t want to hear anything about viruses, etc or crashing, etc – We have never had a problem with either of these on Windows.

Then it is just personasl preference my friend. If you are comfy using Windows then there is no reason to really switch. The fact that you can run both Windows and Mac OS on the Intel machines would be reason enough for me to switch. I mean you get the best of both worlds, if you can call it that. I do web and design among other things and love doing it on my mac, granted I have not used the new mac line yet.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Oh and Time Machine is reason enough for me. I am probably going to upgrade from Panther when Leopard is released. I am not a person who backs up like I should and sometimes I delete stuff that I should have kept and just plain lose things so that's a great feature for me.

Reaction score
how did you do that?

hey i tried to save as
and open spot light
but didn't achieve the result you described.
Can you go through exactly what you did?

mac57 said:
Most of the benefit of going to Mac is what you would consider "soft stuff" vs. hard savings. I would classify most of it under the heading of Productivity. It is little stuff, but lots of it.

Lets take an example. How many times have you encountered this problem? You are working on a file and you decide to save it to a new directory or a different disk altogether. No worries, right? Just use the trusty old "Save As" dialog and navigate your way to the new directory. BUT, that takes time, doesn't it? And that little Save As window can be tough to use for any extensive hunting for your destination. Now lets consider that same task the Mac OS X way. We start the same way, and the trusty old "Save As" dialog comes up. But instead of painfully navigating to my new destination folder (lets assume it is called "foobar"), I just click in the Spotlight entry area at the top of the dialog and start to type "foobar" - after just a few letters, Mac OS X has identified the "foobar" folder and taken the Save As dialog there. Job done! You just saved several minutes of pointing and clicking and scrolling... and lots of aggravation. This has to be my personal favorite features of Mac OS X.

Consider this sort of elegance spread over just about every feature you use daily and you have some idea of what a Mac can bring to you that a PC cannot.

Lets add to the list. Leapard is going to bring another big enhancement (IMHO), multiple desktops, called Spaces by Apple. If you have ever used unix or Linux, you will know that this productivity enhancer has been a staple for years. Multiple desktops help you control the clutter of multiple open windows. I use it for example to keep all my Web stuff in one desktop, all my email stuff in another, all my file management type work in another and so on. No more switching around trying to find a window you were working on before you got interrupted and had to check a web page... now where did my email client window go again? No more - just click back to your email space and there it is.

Like I said, small stuff, but LOTS of it. In two words, what a Mac will bring you that a PC won't is "enhanced productivity".

...and by the way, lets not forget the sleek good looks, the fact that Mac OS X boots in about 30s, the complete stability and freedom from the need for intrusive tools like Norton <just about anything they make> and so on.

OP
R

Roman

thanks all for the informed discussion. Actually cost is not a factor. We lease and are due for a changeover april 07.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.