Downgrading iTunes (from 7 to 6)??

Reaction score
I was prompted earlier today on my Mac to download and install 2 updates. I did so, and upon reboot I seen that iTunes had been updated.

Now, the new iTunes looks beautiful, but it's clearly not going to satisfy my desires because it has spent most of the day slowing my computer by "analyzing" files for gapless play - a feature that I don't want, and can't figure out how to turn off. I've already deselected crossfade in the playback options.

I have my iPod (60GB) set up to update manually (I prefer it that way), however whenever I move something from the computer to the iPod, it wants to go through the whole iPod collection and re-analyze for gapless play. With about 40 gigs of music, and about 3 or 4 changes daily - that would mean it will spend about 3 or 4 hours every day on this undesired "feature".

My question is in 2 parts, though I think I know the answer to the first, which is why the title is of the second part:

1. Is it possible to completely disable this gapless playing function such that it will not analyze any of my music more than it had done in v6? I don't want ti to analyze for gapless play in either my local collection or my iPod.

2. Asumming the answer to the above is "no", how can I re-download version 6, or whatever the last release was, and uninstall this version 7 i.e. downgrade back to version 6.5?

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
im totally with you on this. i have an older ibook and itunes is now SUPER slow and my computer is completely bogged down. also, my manual EQ will not appear so i cant fine tune anything. the only EQ options i get are the little icons in my playlist with the set EQ's...i have searched long and hard to find 6.0.5, but i can only find it for windows. i know version 6 come on the ipod cd, but for some reason it wont let me download it. maybe the OSX install disx will work :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
remove the new itunes 7 and then install itunes from the Tiger cd which is version 4 and thn go to this link http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes605formac.html

after you finish the download, rightclick, and choose show contents and upgrade itunes that way! there ya go! hope that helps...

R

Ryfly

You might get a itunes library is for a newer version message. I got somthing like that when i wanted to downgrade from 6 to 5 but in the long run i had to run 6.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ryfly said:
You might get a itunes library is for a newer version message. I got somthing like that when i wanted to downgrade from 6 to 5 but in the long run i had to run 6.
I'll let you know once I try it.

Quite frankly, I'm mystified that there isn't an option to turn off this gapless feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ryfly said:

If you get this, just delete any old itunes libraries and then youll have no problems! thats what i did! im so glad 7 is gone!!! it has some cool features, but simple is better!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
were you ever able to see what songs were on your ipod with 7? i couldnt see mine at all

OP
D
Reaction score
OK, I have another problem - how do I install iTunes from the Tiger CD?

I found itunes.pkg on the CD, started the install proceedure but it eventually gave me the error: "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."

To delete iTunes 7, I just dragged it from the Applications folder to the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you go to the optional installs, the itunes option should be in the huge list when you click on the arrow for applications. then all you have t do is check the box and hit install. If you cant get it, send me an email and ill send you the install for 6.0.5. if this is what you tried, then im sorry if i misunderstood.
-dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
DarrinJWard said:
OK, I have another problem - how do I install iTunes from the Tiger CD?

I found itunes.pkg on the CD, started the install proceedure but it eventually gave me the error: "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."

To delete iTunes 7, I just dragged it from the Applications folder to the trash.
you need to find the itunes file in the receipts folder in the library and delete that as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
gapless playback will not happen every time, it just has to do it once, and then per song, taking only a few seconds when you put the new song on, it will not have to do it for the whole ipod again.

I like 7, it works well, and the gapless feature is really a nice thing to have on the ipod, but that might just be me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
PowerBookG4 said:
I like 7, it works well, and the gapless feature is really a nice thing to have on the ipod, but that might just be me.
I agree, mostly because I listen to a lot of DJ mixes and having a pause in the middle of the set is really annoying. It was actually one of the things that I didnt like about my ipod, but now its fixed!!!!

--lifeafter2am

OP
D
Reaction score
>> I agree, mostly because I listen to a lot of DJ mixes

I was a DJ for years (about 8), and I still record livesets every now and then, hot off the turntables, straight onto my iPod. But, I'd rather go without the gapless feature.

iTunes analyzed my local collection once, and my iPod once - yes. The problem was when I made an update to my iPod - it was going re-analyzing the iPod everytime I made transferred a new song to it. I have about 2,500 songs (most are 1hr plus "sets"), and it was taking forever to do it. Since I make 3 or 4 changes to the iPod daily - downgrading to iTunes 6.05 was a no-brainer. Once I hear that the option to disable analysis for gapless play is introduced, I'll upgrade. But, I don't really expect that to be in the near future. Maybe not even until 8?

I had to remove the itunes.pkg receipts from the folder - yes, otherwise it kept thinking that itunes was installed - thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
glad you were able to get it! this is the 1st time i actually truly helped someone on here :) its nice haha

Reaction score
Has Apple gotten rid of iTunes 6? I'm trying to downgrade to 6.0.5 and have downloaded it from Apple but opening up the .dmg file there is nothing to install. Anyone else get this?

OP
D
Reaction score
cjay said:
Has Apple gotten rid of iTunes 6? I'm trying to downgrade to 6.0.5 and have downloaded it from Apple but opening up the .dmg file there is nothing to install. Anyone else get this?

Read MSG # 11

P

plusvini

Thanks for the help all. I too hate version 7. It doesn't work well, doesn't give me any control and is completely geared to selling. It's almost like buying from Microsoft. As a hardcore Mac fan, I'm disappointed.

No one seems to have run in to or posted on my big problem with version 7. I have hour-long radio streams that used to be in my music folder. Now they are in my audiobooks folder and won't come out. When I play them on my iPod, it freezes up for about 5 seconds.

Downloading ver 6 as I type...

P

plusvini

Well, sadly after all the work to rid my Mac of Ver7 and reinstall ver6.0.5 and rebuild my library, I find that my iPod is still infected with the sister software to ver7. So even though my radio streams are back in the Music library in iTunes, my iPod puts them in to the Audiobooks folder.

Sigh, Now to gut the iPod...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.