Will this HD work?

Reaction score
It is the correct specification, yes. SATA, 2.5"
I prefer the Seagate Momentus series, but that's just me.
Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

F

Flash Fire

Do you think it would be worth while to upgrade my 80gb 5400 RPM drive that came with my MacBook to a 120gb 7200 RPM drive? I mean, is the upgrade in hard drive speed worth it, that's my question. OR, should I get a 5400 RPM perpindicular recording HD? I can't decide between the two. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I have a question about upgrading the hard drive in a MacBook. Will the installation discs apple includes with the computer be able to work on a new HD? How does this work with MacOSX being pre-installed? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Pop in harddrive, pop in disc, hold down 'C' to boot from installation disc and reinstall OS.

S

set0

Flash Fire said:
Do you think it would be worth while to upgrade my 80gb 5400 RPM drive that came with my MacBook to a 120gb 7200 RPM drive? I mean, is the upgrade in hard drive speed worth it, that's my question. OR, should I get a 5400 RPM perpindicular recording HD? I can't decide between the two. :)

I was going to go with a 7200 RPM drive myself until I read this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=206695

Which states the 7200 RPM drives do not perform significantly faster. May not be worth the extra $$$. You should really form your own opinion, though.

Here's another site that says the same thing (with a Macbook Pro).

http://www.barefeats.com/5472.html

F

Flash Fire

Well, that just made things much more difficult! Now I really can't choose between a 7200 RPM drive, or upgrading my current one to a larger drive. OR, I could just wait and get a MacBook Pro in a year (but I don't like their larger size... hmmm...)

See what I don't get is why in desktops they rarely, if ever, use 5400 RPM drives anymore. Now they use 7200 RPM drives, 7200 RPM RAID drives, even 10,000 RPM drives/RAID. So, theoretically, why would using a slower 5400 RPM drive in a notebook be BETTER? It just confuses me!

Then again my main concern isn't startup time... it's overall system performance. I would think that the 7200 RPM drive would outperform the 5400 in that... in theory there is no way it couldn't... and it also depends I would guess on the cache size of the disk itself. I don't know...

So, I'm going to try getting a 7200 RPM drive in a week or two, and I'll test it out and post the results letting everybody know what I think. :)

-SJ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.