Photo viewing software

C

camcc

Sorry for all these tedious questions, I'm new to Macs :)

What is the best alternative to Picasa for Windows - I don't really like Apples Preview software and I don't fancy paying for a .mac membership?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
iPhoto should be included with your mac that's pretty much Picasa for mac. There are some differences, but the basic concept is the same. There are some others, although I can't remember what they are - I just use iPhoto.

Reaction score
Irfan View, ACDSee, Gimp...all good image viewing/manipulating software which are a mix of Freeware/Shareware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would say iPhoto. Great app, included for free with new Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You may wish to consider QPict. It is an excellent viewer and organizer. I tried lots of them when I came to Mac (only a few months ago) and settled on this shareware item.

Go to www.qpict.net

Qpict is shareware, not freeware, but in my opinion, more than worth it. Coming from Linux, I was adverse to paying for ANY software but I found QPict to be good enough to be worth paying for. It is now one of a very few paid applications I have purchased.

If you feel like installing Apple's X11, and then DarwinPorts, you can run two of the Open Source world's best alternative, F-Spot and DigiKam. Both are very, very good at this sort of thing. I bought QPict before I realized that DarwinPorts existed or else I might have done the same thing. Having paid for it now though, I use it vs. its Open Source equivalents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.