MacBook Pro Upgrades

Reaction score
Hi All. It's been awhile since I've posted here. Well now I'm back!

Anyway, I currently have a 20" iMac G5 (1st Gen) and a 12" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ. I'm looking to sell both units in favor of a new MacBook Pro (Higher End 15") and a 23" Cinema Display. My dad is going to put forth about $2,000 for the MBP, and I'll use the money made from the sale of the other machines for the upgrades and Cinema.

Any idea what will be the next big upgrade for the MacBook Pros? I have a year until college as of yet so I have plenty of time, and these machines are still working great! Is it feasible to put the Core 2 Duos in a laptop? Someone told me that the power consumption of those chips is too high.

What are my options here? What is the next year of chips looking like?

It's great to be back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I can almost guarantee that the MacBook Pro's will have the Core2Duo in them before you go to cllege (I can't guarantee it because I dont work at apple so have no say in it) but the Merom chip (which they put in the iMacs) is actually a notebook processor with very low power consumption and runs very cool.

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
That's great news. Thanks for the info. As soon as apple puts the core 2's in the MacBook Pros, I'll hop on one. Hopefully it won't be too long now (but I'm just anxious!).

But it makes me wonder. If the chip is avalilable now, why are they waiting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
djlee12 said:
That's great news. Thanks for the info. As soon as apple puts the core 2's in the MacBook Pros, I'll hop on one. Hopefully it won't be too long now (but I'm just anxious!).

But it makes me wonder. If the chip is avalilable now, why are they waiting?
Supply issues are one things I have seen mentioned, but they might just be waiting till thanksgiving to get the christmas crowd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
So, if the iMac got the Merom in September, would one be safe to assume that MBP will get it by the end of the year?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would say no, if Apple were to change the processor every time a new one comes out. It would hurt there sells, the previous system would be come obsolete more quickly.

T

todd51

I would wait for the newer processors to come out and go through a couple of months for them to get all the bugs worked out, so by that time your buying a model with not that many problems at all, especially if the machines you have now are perfectly fine. That and your dad is still willing to help you out that far down the road :mac:

I

iluvthsgam

yeah i want a new MBP really bad - i need to upgrade from my powerbook but i really would love those new 64 bit merom chips to go into the MBP. i think its only a matter of time before they put them in there...they have to...especially since leopard is fully 64 bit now..

S

sursuciofla

iluvthsgam said:
yeah i want a new MBP really bad - i need to upgrade from my powerbook but i really would love those new 64 bit merom chips to go into the MBP. i think its only a matter of time before they put them in there...they have to...especially since leopard is fully 64 bit now..

How much would you sell PB for?

I

iluvthsgam

well i paid $2300+ for it, plus I have AppleCare on it as well which was another 350. I would want enough to cover as much as i could for a new MBP + AppleCare, make me an offer....

I

iluvthsgam

well apparently appleinsider is saying that yes the core 2 duo chips are ready to go apple is just holding off to ship them. MAN I CANT WAIT! they said anytime from now till november..they think.haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.