Firefox installation(understanding how macs install)

Reaction score
I had to install firefox several times for it to work, but this was not the programs fault, just me getting used to the way macs work.

When you download firefox it appears as a "disk image" and a downloaded file ".dmg" i believe is the extension. Now after I installed firefox the first time, I erased both of these. I didn't want to clutter my desktop, and low and behold when I clicked on firefox in my dock a big "?" appeared in the center. Now after I installed it the right way (I.E. moving the disk image into my applications folder) I erased both those things a second time. I still got a question mark, but I reopened it from the application folder and dragged it into my dock, and it works great now.

OP
P
Reaction score
I think that when you put an item on your dock, wherever you dragged it from first, that's where it will look. that's why I got the question mark. Correct me If i'm wrong guys, i'm still very new to this. But i'm still very much loving macs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nope you got it right there. The dock uses aliases (think shortcut) to the actual location of the program

Cam

Reaction score
I'm stuggling with mac osx a bit too. It just doesn't seem as flexable as good old windows! I'm no windows expert, but if I wanted to do something, chances are I could find a waym of doing it fairly logically. On the mac I'm going to where I'd expect something to be and there's no sign of it. I have to go and search in some totally unlinked folder. I'll get used to it I guess!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Cam said:
I'm stuggling with mac osx a bit too. It just doesn't seem as flexable as good old windows! I'm no windows expert, but if I wanted to do something, chances are I could find a waym of doing it fairly logically. On the mac I'm going to where I'd expect something to be and there's no sign of it. I have to go and search in some totally unlinked folder. I'll get used to it I guess!

It's mentioned many times here. Forget what you know about windows.. I switched a few months ago myself and you can't compare the two or expect things to be somewhere you think that it would be in windows. Mac OSX is a lot easier than Windows. Thats where I was having a problem. I was always looking for the hard way to do things and come to find out its much easier in OSX. For example, installing and uninstalling. I was trying to find an Add/Remove equivilent and couldn't find it. Come to find out all you do is drag the program where you want it to go (application folders, desktop, etc) and it's installed. To uninstall you just drag it to the Trash. Easy. It took me a little bit to get used to it but after a few weeks i was very confortable with it. And except for maybe one or two programs i have been able to find a Mac equivilent program to do what i need to do. Burn CD/DVD's, rip them, edit pics, resize pics, etc. Give it a little time and you will get the hang of it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
this the exact same issue i was having last night but finally cracked it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
In response to your original post, you don't move the disk image into the Applications folder! What happens is this:

1) You download a disk image
2) You double click it, and a mounted volume appears (the white disk) and a finder window
3) You drag the application icon from within the finder window into the Applications directory (you may need to press command-N to get a new finder window)
4) You drag the mounted volume and disk image from the desktop to the trash
5) You drag the application icon from Applications to the dock

The disk image is 'mounted' as if it were a removable drive. Both the mounted volume and the disk image are temporary and should be discarded once installation is complete.

Reaction score
Thought I'd add that the mounted volume needs to be 'ejected'...

ie:
the trash icon is replaced with an eject icon and as you drag the mounted volume over it, it becomes highlighted...and then the mounted volume vanishes (is deleted)!

The .dmg file just goes to the trash...

It wasn't too long ago that I didn't know what to do with these files... :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz Core Duo 2gb Ram 160gb Hard Drive
I just click and drag the application itself and throw away anything else I dont need. Way easier than windows I think.

Reaction score
you got it.......just forget the 'Windows' way and discover the 'easy' way ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Pulse-8 said:
you got it.......just forget the 'Windows' way and discover the 'easy' way ;-)
heh, we all need to put that line in our sigs ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.