Automatic album art from filesystem

Reaction score
I have around 90Gb of music saved on an external FAT32 drive (a hangover from my pc days). Not all this music is stored in my itunes library, as I tend to just copy the albums that I want to have on the road with me to my MacBook as needed. The problem that I have is that less than half of this music has album art correctly written to it, and I'm a stickler for it being 100% ;)

I've seen various apps and widgets to automate the downloading of album artwork, but they all seem to be based around your iTunes library rather than just running from a directory on the filesystem. Can anyone suggest one which I can just point to the root directory on the external drive and have it download and add artwork to the files?

To complicate matters slightly, I'd rather it didn't replace or update files which already had the correct artwork and it would be useful if it gave a report of the artwork which it wasn't sure on when setting it (ie, I've seen previous apps set the artwork incorrectly - when I'm dealing with the quantity of mp3s that I am it would be very hard to go through and check every album for artwork accuracy) I'm certain that all the tracks are ID3d properly, so I can rely on it for locating the artwork.

Does such a holy grail exist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
This widget saved my itune collection into having albulm covers.

It even finds and gives you a number of albulm covers of the artist/albums you type..letting you choose exactly what you want.

Open itunes and widget, type the artist of albulm name in the widget..if it comes up, simply click the itunes button on the widget and presto! the albulm cover is applied..otherwise, choose an albulm cover from the selection it gives..and simply click the itunes button on the widget..done and dusted.

Hope it helps

http://www.widget-foundry.com/widgets/amazonart.htm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.